ORGANISATION/COMPANYTyndall National Institute
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 17:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONIreland › Cork
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK39
POB-42 Researcher in Photonics Packaging
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
The Photonics Packaging Group at the Tyndall Institute invites applications for an exciting position as a Postdoctoral Researcher. The position takes responsibility for optical design and packaging activities in the new pilot line funded under the Disruptive Technology innovation Fund (DTIF programme). A large part of the research will involve the design and development of advanced packaging processes for micro optic and fiber optic components. This will include design activities using software simulation tools such as Zemax and Lumerical and development of packaging processes using Tyndall’s packaging equipment. The position will also require the person to write technical reports about their research and to present their research to a variety of stakeholders, including the wider research community and key funding agencies such as Enterprise Ireland.
The project involves strong collaboration with industry partners to develop packaging processes that can be scaled to volume and used for a wide range of industry applications, such as optical communications, medical devices and sensing. Candidates who can demonstrate practical experience of working with photonic devices and optical components are preferred.
- Design of micro optical components using software tools such as Zemax and Lumerical.
- Fiber and micro optical packaging of photonic devices in the packaging laboratory.
- Testing of photonic devices to measure packaged device performance.
- Preparation and presentation of technical reports.
- Managing projects within an ISO controlled environment.
- Participate in education and public engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- PhD in physics or engineering.
- Experience in photonics.
- Experience in optical design and testing.
- Excellent communication and technical report writing skills.
- Experience presenting your research to a technical audience.
- Experience in the fabrication and packaging of photonic devices.
- Experience in optical design (eg. Zemax) would be highly desirable.
- Industry experience or working with industry would be highly desirable.
Appointment may be made on the IUA Scale for Post-Doctoral Researchers €38,630-€45,942 pa. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Peter O’Brien at email@example.com.
Application Instructions: Please click here to Apply.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer
EURAXESS offer ID: 573894
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.