RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/11/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Nijmegen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40.0
You are a broadly oriented, interdisciplinary working and methodologically innovative Classical Roman archaeologist with a demonstrable interest in and experience with art historical approaches. Your research focuses on the classical and post-classical Roman times, which may also include late Antiquity, early Middle Ages, early Islam and Byzantium. You are conducting research from a broad, interdisciplinary and methodologically innovative perspective, with a focus on digital humanities. You have a strong affinity with the development of education and see added value in collaboration across the boundaries of your own study programmes and lines of research.
Within the Faculty of Arts, you will be affiliated with the Radboud Institute for Culture and History (RICH) and you will play a central role in one or more of the research themes of this research institute. You will also be part of the Department of History, Art History and Classics.
At the Bachelor's level, you will participate in the BA programmes in Greek and Latin Language and Culture, Art History and History and in the faculty minors Conflict and Cooperation in the Mediterranean World, and Cultural Heritage and Public. At the Master's level, you will participate in the Master's programmes in Classical Studies, and Ancient and Medieval Mediterranean Worlds, and in the Research Master's programme in Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies. You will play an initiating, stimulating and connecting role in the development and implementation of the study programmes, and you have a clear vision of student recruitment and profiling of classical / archaeological education in Nijmegen.
You will stimulate your research activities from a clear vision and thus make research in archaeology visible within the faculty, nationally and internationally. Supervising PhD candidates and acquiring funding from indirect and / or contract funding is explicitly part of your duties, as is making an active contribution to the faculty's valorisation activities.
In the field of organisation and management, in close consultation with fellow professors and other staff members, you will take on management tasks and fulfil a leading role as representative of the Archaeology chair group in the Department of History, Art History and Classics, as well as at faculty level.
Click here for the vacancy text in Dutch.
- Employment: 32 - 40 hours per week (0.8 - 1.0 FTE).
- A maximum gross monthly salary of € 8,371 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale H2).
- The exact salary depends on the candidate's qualifications and amount of relevant professional experience.
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: 5 years, with the possibility of permanent employment.
- The intended start date is 1 August 2021.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Have a look at our excellent employment conditions. They include a good work-life balance (among other things because of the excellent leave arrangements), opportunities for development and a great pension scheme.
Please address your application to prof. dr. Jan Hein Furnée and submit it, using the application button, no later than 29 November 2020, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- Letter of motivation.
- CV, with three references (only names and contact details).
The first round of interviews will take place on 18 January 2021. An assessment of competencies and a proof lecture will be part of the selection process.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
prof. dr. Jan Hein Furnée, Professor of Cultural History; head of the Department History, Art History and Classics
Web site for additional job details
- Are a broadly oriented, interdisciplinary working and methodologically innovative Classical Roman archaeologist with demonstrable interest in and experience with art historical approaches.
- Have a doctorate in archaeology, classical languages, ancient history or art history with a specialisation in classical or medieval archaeology.
- Can rely on an excellent list of publications, including a number of publications in internationally leading journals that demonstrate your interdisciplinarity and methodological innovative approach.
- Occupy a leading position within the international research community in the field of archaeology.
- Have international experience and an international network.
- Have demonstrable experience in acquiring research grants and plans to apply for externally funded research projects.
- Have extensive experience in guiding academic staff in the performance of their research.
- Are able to stimulate inter-university cooperation and maintain contacts within your own network with scientific institutions outside the university.
- Are able to make interdisciplinary connections and motivate others to do so.
- Are an inspiring and challenging lecturer, with extensive teaching experience at BA and MA levels, and can be widely deployed in archaeological, art historical and historical education at the faculty.
- Have a university teaching qualification (BKO) or an equivalent qualification, or are willing and able to obtain a BKO within two years.
- Are willing to play a strong connecting role between Radboud University and the archaeological institutions within the province of Gelderland and the municipality of Nijmegen, as well as museum institutions in the region, such as Museum Het Valkhof.
- Are willing to play a connecting role at the department and actively promote mutual cooperation.
- Have an interest in and experience with administrative tasks and management.
- Have the following five core competencies: vision, social awareness, persuasiveness, connecting leadership, entrepreneurship.
- If you are a foreign candidate: you have an excellent command of Dutch, or are willing to learn Dutch (C1 level) in the short term (i.e. within two years).
- You are familiar with the Dutch university system and are prepared to participate in it in accordance with the applicable rules and customs.
EURAXESS offer ID: 573652
Posting organisation offer ID: 295358
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.