RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Computer systemsEngineering › Communication engineeringEngineering › Electrical engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/11/2020 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONDenmark › Aarhus N
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37
OFFER STARTING DATE01/03/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER953442
With an exponential growth in sensor data and increasing concerns of data privacy, the state-of-the-art Internet-of-Things (IoT) ecosystem is facing critical challenges, which call for novel techniques to efficiently address them; i) designed with a strong focus on data and user privacy; ii) compressing time-series data generated by IoT devices to allow for fast analysis, random access, and providing data privacy; iii) developing privacy-preserving architectures for analytics using trusted execution environments at the Cloud/Edge. The PhD student will be a part of the Marie-Curie IoTalentum project financed by the European Commission (http://www.iotalentum.eu/).
The primary goal of this PhD project is to (i) design, implement and evaluate secure data sharing between devices, Edge/Cloud and the end users; (ii) design and evaluate controlled, privacy-preserving processing of IoT data at the Edge or Cloud using the cloud-to-thing IoTalentum architecture and infrastructure relying on trusted execution environments (e.g., Intel SGX), local computing resources, and a judicious allocation of data; (iii) to investigate the intriguing inter-relation between data compression at IoT devices and privacy-preserving processing at Cloud. In particular, how to employ a joint design of data compression and privacy preserving schemes to reduce data traffic in network infrastructure and data storage. For the last task, we will consider Generalized Deduplication, a compression technique pioneered by our team at AU.
The Network Computing, Communications and Storage (NETX) Group operates at the intersection of theory and implementation of communication and computation, machine learning, distributed systems, and Cloud/Edge technologies. For this reason, we encourage applicants with a strong theoretical profile or a strong implementation/programming profile (or ideally both) to apply. Our group also counts with a new and well-funded laboratory to deploy large storage server pods, computing servers, ARM micro-servers for energy efficient edge operations, GPU work station, Jetson TX2 boards and a number of end-user devices.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
We are looking for highly motivated and independent students willing to take the challenge to do a successful 3-year PhD programme in Aarhus University. The ideal candidate will have the following profile (but not all items are required for a successful application):
- Relevant Master’s degree (e.g., Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering), although exceptional candidates from related disciplines (e.g., Applied Mathematics) will also be considered.
- Excellent undergraduate and master degree grades are required.
- Background on data analytics, data security/privacy, machine learning, information theory, data storage is highly desired, but candidates from other disciplines will be considered based on their merits and potential.
- Background on linear algebra, mathematics and statistics is desired.
- Strong background on programming, particularly C++ and python, is required.
- Good English verbal and written skills are required.
- Applications must be in accordance with the EC Marie Skłodowska Curie Actions ITN eligibility criteria:
- Candidates did not reside or carry out their main activity (e.g. work, studies) in Denmark for more than 12 months during the three years immediately prior to the project’s application deadlines (time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention, compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account).
- Candidates are in the first four years of their research careers at the start of their IoTalentum (Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions ITN-ETN with grant number 953442) appointment (full-time equivalent research experience, measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree entitling him or her to embark on a doctorate) and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
Documentation of language skills:
The English language requirement at the graduate school is comparable to an “English B level” in the Danish upper secondary school (“gymnasium”).
English language qualifications comparable to an “English B level” are documented by one of the following tests:
- TOEFL test (internet-based), minimum score: 83. The graduate school does not accept the paper-based test, nor the TOEFL ITP test. Remember to ask the test center to send your test results to Aarhus University in order to enable verification of your test results. Aarhus University’s TOEFL code is 8935.
Currently, the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test (available in selected areas) will also be accepted.
- IELTS (academic) test, minimum average score: 6.5 points/
- Cambridge English Language Assessment:
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency (CPE)
Cambridge English: Certificate of Advanced English with grade A,B or C (CAE)
Cambridge English: First Certificate with grade A (FCE)
The following applicants are exempted from documenting their English qualifications/taking a test:
- Applicants with citizenship from the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States, or one of the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden).
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s or Master’s programme completed in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States. In this case, please upload your Bachelor’s or Master’s diploma under the section ”Language skills documentation”.
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s or Master’s programme completed at a Danish university for which the requirement was English B level at the time of admission. In this case, please upload your Bachelor’s or Master’s diploma under the section ”Language skills documentation”.
EURAXESS offer ID: 571631
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.