ORGANISATION/COMPANYCyprus University of Technology
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Chemical engineeringEngineering › Materials engineeringEngineering › Mechanical engineeringPhysics › Computational physics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE29/01/2021 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › Limassol
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK24.5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/03/2021
Applications are invited from candidates who possess the necessary qualifications in order to fill one (1) Part-time Research Fellow position (Post-Doctoral Researcher) at the Department of Chemical Engineering in the field of “Derivation of the couple-stress theory via non-equilibrium thermodynamics”.
This postdoctoral opportunity starts on March 2021, unless otherwise agreed, and is available to join the newly founded Thermodynamics and Transport Phenomena Laboratory (T2PL) of the Department of Chemical Engineering at the Cyprus University of Technology, which aims to elaborate as to whether non-equilibrium thermodynamic formulations can be adopted to account for an antisymmetric stress contribution to the stress tensor known as couple stress. Such a contribution is expected to be important in the case of polymeric fluids and particle suspensions. Couple stress theory is found to be quite useful in the description of various types of lubricants, blood, and polymeric suspensions, and has thus far been utilized in many biomedical applications, such as blood flow in the microcirculation, pulsatile systolic hemodynamics, and even swimming of microscopic organism in micro-continuum fluids
This project involves the use of non-equilibrium thermodynamics formulations such as the Generalized Bracket and GENERIC ones. The main task of the project, as mentioned above, is to use one or both of these formulations to elaborate how the couple stress can be incorporated in these formulations.
In addition to the afore-mentioned task, a successful candidate will have ample opportunity to engage in soft materials and complex fluids research on both collaborative and independent projects. Applicants should prepare a statement of research interests that specifically highlights how you may utilize non-equilibrium thermodynamics in the course of your research.
Τhe appointment will be for a period of five (5) months with the prospect of renewal. The monthly cost of employment (program budget) will be €2272,73. From this amount all legal employer and employee contributions will be deducted. The monthly gross salary, based on the legislation currently into effect, is €1978,00. There is provision for 13th salary (the cost of the 13th salary has been proportionally incorporated in the monthly remuneration as analyzed above)
Applicants are requested to submit the following:
1. A complete curriculum vitae
2. A summary of their research experience and future research goals (not to exceed two (2) pages)
3. A copy of their most representative publication
4. The names and contact information of two people who are willing to provide references
5. Proof of their qualifications
6. Complete contact information along with dates available for an interview and for commencing employment
Applications must be sent via email at: HRrecruits@cut.ac.cy with the subject: “Application for Research Fellow (Post-Doctoral Researcher) Position – Department of Chemical Engineering” no later than Friday 27 November 2020, which is the deadline for the submission of the applications.
For further information visit the University’s webpage at http://www.cut.ac.cy
It is noted that:
- The University adopts an equal opportunity policy at recruitment and the subsequent career stages and encourages both genders to submit an application for all levels of Academic and Administrative Staff.
- The University does not discriminate in any way on the basis of gender, religion or belief, ethnic, national or social origin, age, physical ability, marital status and sexual orientation.
For any information please send an email to:
Dr Pavlos S. Stephanou
Thermodynamics and Transport Phenomena Laboratory (T2PL)
Department of Chemical Engineering
Cyprus University of Technology
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: PhD or equivalent
Applicants should have:
- A PhD degree from a recognized university in one or a combination of the following fields of study: Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or related fields.
- Experience with modeling complex fluids and/or the use of non-equilibrium thermodynamics formalisms is required
- Programming experience in a high-level programming language (e.g., MATLAB)
- Very good knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Organizational skills
The following will be considered as an advantage:
• Experience in preparing, submitting, and managing research projects.
• Knowledge of the couple-stress theory.
EURAXESS offer ID: 571114
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.