ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Antwerp
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › OtherMedical sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/11/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Antwerpen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
Department : Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Regime : Full-time
The Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Pediatrics in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%)
Doctoral scholarship holder in the field of inflammation, gastroenterology and omics.
- You will work actively on the preparation of a PhD thesis in the field of inflammation, gastroenterology and omics. More precisely, you will unravel the MUC1 and MUC13 mRNA isoforms aberrantly expressed in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD), such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, and correlate their expression levels with clinical parameters to investigate their prognostic and predictive potential. Subsequently, you will generate a multiplex RT-qPCR based on the identified isoforms and validate this assay to evaluate the usefulness of these isoforms as novel biomarkers for monitoring and treatment of IBD. Finally, you will also study the role of these mRNA isoforms in gut barrier disruption in IBD as well as their underlying mechanism(s). For this purpose, different techniques, including DNA / RNA extractions, Next-Generation Sequencing (genomics and targeted isoform sequencing), RT-qPCR, organoid cultures, siRNA transfection assays, ELISA, immunoprecipitation and blotting will be applied.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You are willing to apply for additional research funding for this project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for in the Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- You hold a Master degree in medicine, veterinary medicine, science, bioscience engineering, bioinformatics, pharmaceutical or biomedical sciences.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You show a clear interest in translational/clinical and biomarker research with valorisation potential.
- You have good knowledge in molecular (cell) biology, biostatistics and bioinformatics or are eager to submerge into these fields.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another two years.
- The planned start date is 1 January 2021.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at “Campus Drie Eiken” in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 15 November 2020 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Interviews will be planned in the second half of November.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Dr. Annemieke Smet, 03 265 2611, firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. Dr. Benedicte De Winter, 03 265 2710, email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
EURAXESS offer ID: 563862
Posting organisation offer ID: 148830
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.