ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversitat Pompeu Fabra - ETIC
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Biomedical engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE20/10/2020 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER955735
The European community requires early stage researchers (ESRs) who can work across the boundaries of traditional disciplines, integrating experimental and in silico approaches to understand and manage highly prevalent multifactorial disorders, such as musculoskeletal disorders. The Disc4All training network utilises intervertebral disc degeneration (LDD) that leads to low back pain (LBP) as a relevant application for the integration of data and computational simulations in translational medicine, to enable rational interpretations of the complex interactions that eventually lead to symptoms.
LBP is the largest cause of morbidity worldwide, yet there remains controversy as to the specific cause leading to poor treatment options and prognosis. LDD is reported to account for 50% of LBP in young adults, but the interplay of factors from genetics, environmental, cellular responses and social and psychological factors is poorly understood. Unfortunately, the integration of such data into a holistic and rational map of degenerative processes and risk factors has not been achieved, requiring creation of professional cross-competencies, which current training programmes in biomedicine, biomedical engineering and translational medicine fail to address, individually.
Disc4All aims to tackle this issue through collaborative expertise of clinicians; computational physicists and biologists; geneticists; computer scientists; cell and molecular biologists; microbiologists; bioinformaticians; and industrial partners. It provides interdisciplinary training in data curation and integration; experimental and theoretical/computational modelling; computer algorithm development; tool generation; and model and simulation platforms to transparently integrate primary data for enhanced clinical interpretations through models and simulations. Complementary training is offered in dissemination; project management; responsible research and innovation; ethics; regulation; policy; business strategy; public and patient engagement. Disc4All will train a new generation of internationally mobile professionals with unique skill sets for the development of thriving careers in translational research applied to multifactorial disorders.
Coordination tasks in Disc4All are utmost important. They include the monitoring and proper coordination of training and research at more than 11 international institutions, the monitoring of project finance, the communication of the project and of the results achieved, and the promotion of public engagement. Accordingly, a strong coordination team is needed and the Consortium is looking for a project manager that will provide support to the Project Coordinator and to the different Consortium Bodies of the project.
Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF – www.upf.edu), Barcelona Spain: UPF was established in 1990 as a public university with a strong dedication to excellence in research and teaching. UPF is in the top 150 universities worldwide and top 50 in Europe, in Engineering and Technology (Times Higher Education rankings 2020). It is one of the leading Spanish universities and the 10th best young university worldwide according to Time Higher Education Under 50 (2020). UPF coordinates Disc4All and takes part in the project through its ICT Department (DTIC), which has more than 60% international researchers from 48 different countries. DTIC is strategically located within the vibrant 22@ technological district of Barcelona. It has been recognized as “María de Maeztu” unit of excellence by the Spanish government for the quality and relevance of its pioneering scientific research (2015-2020). Within DTIC, Disc4All is led from the BCN-MedTech research unit (https://www.upf.edu/web/bcn-medtech/). BCN MedTech has a team of 60 full time researchers, with major focus on computer models and simulations in biomedical engineering for the exploration of disease mechanisms, advanced computer-aided diagnosis, treatment planning and prognosis, among others.
Tasks to be developed
The Project Manager of Disc4All will closely work with the Project Coordinator and the Research Support Office at UPF and will regularly communicate with the European Commission. The selected candidate shall further assist the project Supervisory Board, which is the highest decision-making body of the Consortium. Among other inherent tasks of the project, the main specific duties associated with the position will be:
- Administrative: assist in the recruitment process and verify eligibility of fellows; add information in the Funding & Tenders; upload Deliverables and follow-up deadlines; provide support in the organization of meetings, events and protocolary acts; write the meeting’s minutes.
- Management: calculation of payments to the Consortium; budget monitoring; assessment of the project financial procedures according to the rules established in the Grant and Consortium agreements; negotiation and management of possible amendments; support in IPR and exploitation matters.
- Formal communication: centralise the communication within the Consortium and with the European Commission.
- Outreach: Wide communication of the project and its outputs through the newsletters, the UPF Communication Office, the public media, the project webpage and social media; support public, industry, clinical and scientific engagements.
According to the selection process, candidates are expected to provide at least the following documents:
- A brief introduction letter (no more than one A4 page) that summarizes the documents and the nature of the information provided for the selection
- A full CV
- The two requested reference letters
- The letter of purpose (no more than two A4 pages)
Enrolment in a highly international working environment, both at BCN MedTech and as a member of a consortium of 19 international institutions (11 Beneficiaries, 8 Partner organizations - https://www.upf.edu/web/disc4all/beneficiaries), including companies and academia. Reinforced expertise in European Research Strategy and grant system focussed on health-related science, through both direct contact with the European Commission and close collaborations with key stakeholders. Close interactions with highly multidisciplinary researchers, around a highly prevalent clinical problem that shall foster public engagement. Benefit from the transferable training offered by Disc4All (https://www.upf.edu/web/disc4all/activities).
A minimum growth salary of about 30.000 € per annuum is offered, with possibilities of extension depending on performance and competencies.
A number of indicators will be used to evaluate the applicant’s preparedness, motivation and potential.
1st phase, remote pre-selection:
Suitability of the candidate, based on:
- Quality of the CV, in general
- Any demonstrated experience in research or research project management
- Two reference letters provided by experienced academics. Referees are asked to contextualise their relationship with the candidate and address his/her commitment with academic research, in terms of support and promotion; proactivity, independent working, organization and analytical capabilities; ability to manage teamwork.
- Statement of purpose: past experience, motivation for applying to this Project Manager position, fit to the position, contribution of the proposed working experience to the candidate’s future careers plans, ...
2nd phase, interview(s):
Should the candidate be preselected at phase 1, a second phase will consist in at least one interview through which the motivation, the proactive behaviour, the capacity to work collaboratively, the organizational skills, the communication skills and the capacity to engage in discussions and manage problems, will be assessed, among other aspects.
The final decision will be the result of a consensus with the Supervisory Board of the Consortium. The candidate will be informed of the selection results by email.
Type of contract: temporary (48 months)
Job status at UPF: full-time
Hours per week: 37,5
Incorporation date: Between November 1st and November 15th, 2020
EU Research Framework: H2020 MSCA-ITN-ETN
Marie Curie Grant Agreement Number: 955735
Main working place: UPF-DTIC, Campus Poble Nou, Barcelona, Spain (https://www.upf.edu/web/etic)
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Profile of the candidate
- Educational Level: PhD or MSc degree /equivalent
- Required languages: Fluent English, written and spoken, is mandatory
- Skills/Qualifications: Previous experience in academic research and/or research project management
EURAXESS offer ID: 563680
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.