ORGANISATION/COMPANYUNIVERSITE TOULOUSE 2 JEAN JAURES
RESEARCH FIELDHistory › History of religions
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/11/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › Toulouse
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/03/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
The ERC Advanced Grant Project 741182 MAP (Mapping Ancient Polytheisms. Cult Epithets as an Interface between Religious Systems and Human Agency), led by Corinne Bonnet, is now accepting applications for 1 postdoctoral position (100%) from the 01/03/2021.
The postdoc will exploit the epithets attributed to the gods in Greek inscriptions, thus taking part in one of the two areas covered by the project, in a longue durée perspective from 1000 BCE to 400 CE.
Applicants are expected to list cult epithets from epigraphic sources, enter them in a database, investigate them using network analysis and cartography, and analyse them according to their context, as the most efficient indicator of the divine multiple powers and modes of action, as well as their connection to places where humans interact with them. The comparative approach between the Greek world and the Western Semitic world will allow a reappraisal of concepts such as transfer, translation, and adaptation connected to epithets or their translation into images and narratives.
Applicants should hold a PhD in the field of Ancient History, Classics or equivalent
Deadline for submission: 15/11/2020.
Applicants are requested to submit:
- Curriculum Vitae (Education, experience in research, Publications, Projects; 5-6 pages max.)
- Motivation letter (1 p.)
- PDF of the PhD dissertation and of the final report of the Commission.
A Shortlist will be published within the end of November.
Interviews (with zoom) will take place during the first week of December.
The decision will be comunicated with Decembr 10.
The postdoc will work under the direction of the Principal Investigator of the MAP project, namely Corinne Bonnet. He/she will work with the whole team, which includes 3 other post-docs, the project-manager, a PhD and guest researchers.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELHistory: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESFRENCH: GoodANCIENT GREEK: Excellent
- in-depth training and research experience (PhD, optionally post-doc) in the field of History of Religions in Antiquity; applicants should have received their PhD preferably within the last five years;
- excellent knowledge of ancient Greek;
- familiarity with epigraphical corpora;
- skills in the field of multiculturalism or comparatism between Semitic and Greek worlds would be an additional asset;
- good knowledge of databases;
- knowledge of tools deriving from network analysis and cartography would be an additional asset;
- very good command of French and English and at least good comprehension of written German;
- advanced teamwork skills.
Insular Greece (Crete included, but except Cyprus)
Bulgaria and Black Sea
EURAXESS offer ID: 563268
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.