ORGANISATION/COMPANYLeibniz Research Institute for Archaeology - RGZM
RESEARCH FIELDAnthropology › OtherEnvironmental science › Earth scienceGeosciences › OtherHistory › Archaeology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/11/2020 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONGermany › Mainz
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK39
OFFER STARTING DATE01/02/2021
The Leibniz Research Institute for Archaeology (RGZM) in Mainz is calling for applications for the position of:
scientific research assistant with full time employment (39hrs/week, ~50,000€ annual gross salary) starting on the 1. February 2021
• Archaeological and palaeoclimatic research of Meso- and Neolithic transition sites of the Mediterranean
• Geochemical analyses of mollusc shells (oxygen isotopes + trace elements)
• Compilation of reference collection of modern mollusc specimens
The project “SEAFRONT: Short-term and Extreme climates causing Agricultural risks at the FRontier Of the Neolithic Transition” is funded over 6 years by the German Research Foundation (DFG) under its Emmy-Noether junior research group program. The project aims to study high-resolution climate records from mollusc shells found within important archaeological sites in the Mediterranean during the Mesolithic and Neolithic period.
As part of this project, the successful candidate will be carrying out the collection of modern reference samples close to the archaeological sites, the geochemical analysis of these samples together with the analysis of archaeological shells from Franchthi Cave. The project allows for a continuation of the employment after 3 years, given that the professional preconditions for postdoctoral research are met.
- a versatile and challenging job opportunity with high flexibility
- enrolment into the PhD-programme of the Johannes-Gutenberg-University
- integration into an international research network
- employment within the EG 13 TV-L payment group (100%; ~50,000 gross annual salary)
- participation in pension scheme
The Leibniz Research Institute for Archaeology promotes gender equality and the compatibility of family and work. We are officially certified by the berufundfamilie audit.
People with disabilities will be given preference if they are otherwise equally suitable professionally and personally (please enclose proof of disability).
Costs that arise in connection with your application cannot be reimbursed.
Please send applications to email@example.com (deadline: 15th November). We expect to hold online-interviews at the end of November.
• a letter describing how you meet the requirements of the job
• CV (no photo)
• 2 reference letters
• 1-page research proposal in connection with the project (seafront-project.com)
Please send questions regarding this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
• Master-degree in Archaeology or Geosciences, preferable with a focus in prehistory or palaeoclimate. (certificate to be produced prior to start of contract)
• Experience in coastal archaeology, environmental archaeology or neolithic archaeology. Experience in sclerochronology (if geoscientific background).
• Language skills in Italian or Greek (modern) are beneficial
EURAXESS offer ID: 562870
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.