ORGANISATION/COMPANYNicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center
RESEARCH FIELDAstronomy › AstrophysicsEngineering › Electrical engineeringGeosciences › OtherPhysics › Computational physicsPhysics › ElectronicsPhysics › OtherTechnology › Future technologyTechnology › High vacuum technologyTechnology › Information technologyTechnology › Instrumentation technologyTechnology › Quantum technology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/01/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/02/2021
On the physics side, research at AstroCeNT is primarily focused on studies of gravitational waves and dark matter, as well as on related topics of astronomy, particle cosmology and particle physics. On the technological side, our prime objective is to specialise in R&D on ultra-sensitive instruments for low background and low count rate particle astrophysics experiments, primarily, but not exclusively, in:
- dark matter searches, in particular modules of silicon photomultipliers, as part of DarkSide and Global Argon Dark Matter collaborations, and
- gravitational waves, especially seismic sensors, as part of Advanced Virgo/Ligo and the Einstein Telescope collaborations.
AstroCeNT is comprised of six international research groups of physicists and engineers:
- SiPM Systems for Astroparticle Physics and Medical Physics (leader: Dr Marcin Kuźniak)
- Seismic Sensors (Prof. Tomasz Bulik)
- Electronics and Data Acquisition and Processing (Dr Mariusz Suchenek)
- Ultrapure SiPMs and Associated Readout Electronics (Dr Masayuki Wada)
- Scientific Computing & Information Technology Group (Prof. Piotr Gawron)
- Particle Astrophysics (Prof. Leszek Roszkowski)
However, it is envisaged that it will engage in other areas of the field and explore potential applications in Hi-Tech industry and medicine as well. In about two years the Centre is expected to reach the size of about 40 researchers, including group leaders, their teams, PhD students and visitors working in an international, English-speaking environment. The Centre is led by Professor Leszek Roszkowski.
AstroCeNT has developed close collaborative links with several institutions in Europe and outside, in particular with our strategic partner APC (Astroparticles and Cosmology Laboratory) in Paris and the McDonald institute in Canada.
AstroCeNT is conveniently located in the city centre, with easy access to rail stations and airports. It occupies a suite of spacious and modern labs and offices on top floor of a modern building, https://www.cziitt.pw.edu.pl/ of Warsaw University of Technology. The site is also well connected with Physics Department of the University of Warsaw and the main site of the Nicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Centre.
AstroCeNT strongly values the diversity of candidates and is very committed to the equality of opportunity.
- possibility to develop front-line research in gravitational waves and dark matter in collaboration with the other teams of AstroCeNT and with our strategic partner APC;
- stimulating, international, English speaking research environment in a new centre of excellence;
- funding for research, travel and basic equipment;
- scientific, organizational and technical support, including standard research facilities.
- Curriculum Vitae;
- statement of research interests;
- publication list;
- photocopy of PhD diploma;
- copy of PhD thesis (if not confidential);
- at least two, preferably three, letters of reference;
- scan of signed GDPD form (available from https://www.camk.edu.pl/en/about/ochrona-danych-osobowych/
The gross salary is 12,000.00 PLN (expected net salary: about 8,750.00 PLN).
The maximum period of contract agreement is 2 years, extendable until the end of the Project (2023).
- Ability to work and collaborate in research teams in a competitive environment.
- Strong track record of past research.
- Potential to attract grant funding.
EURAXESS offer ID: 559794
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.