ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bern
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/11/2020 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSwitzerland › Bern
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/12/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER858199
INTENSE is a new European training network between universities, research centres and industries that will carry out an interdisciplinary research and training program for a cohort of 11 fellows. INTENSE promotes the collaboration among European and US researchers involved in the most important particle physics research projects at the high intensity frontier. The observation of neutrino oscillations established a picture consistent with the mixing of three neutrino flavours with three mass eigenstates and small mass differences.
The goal of this hire is the participation in SBN (MicroBooNE, SBND), with a focus on the CRT and UV-laser systems. Based on the MicroBooNE, perform performance evaluations, reconstruction and analysis in SBND and extrapolate to DUNE. Accurate calibration and reconstruction of events in the near detectors will be crucial for the neutrino oscillation analyses. The SBND near detector, as well as the 2x2 DUNE demonstrator will provide samples of neutrino interactions on argon to be used for physics and performance analysis.
The selected candidate will be recruited by the University of Bern under an employment contract of a limited/fixed duration of thirty-six (36) months and will be based in Bern. During her/his appointment, the selected candidate is expected to travel at the international level, under secondments for a total duration of up to 30% of her/his contract, to another beneficiary and/or partner organizations of the INTENSE program.
Additionally, the selected candidate is expected to participate actively, as needed, in the INTENSE activities, workshops, schools as well as conferences, career development and networking activities. The ESRs will also be involved in outreach activities.
The salary consists of a monthly Living Allowance; in addition, researchers recruited within an ITN programme are entitled to receive a monthly Mobility Allowance and, if applicable, a Family Allowance depending on the marital status. The family status of a researcher will be determined at the date of her/his (first) recruitment in the action and will not evolve during the action lifetime. The net salary will be determined after subtracting all compulsory (employer and employee) deductions and withholdings from the gross amounts in line with national legislation.
At the date of recruitment (the first day of the employment of the researcher for the purposes of the action), the selected candidate must:
- be an ‘Early Stage Researchers’ (i.e. be in the first four years – full time equivalent research experience - of her/his research career and have not been awarded a doctoral degree).
- not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Switzerland for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention (1951 Refugee Convention and the 1967 Protocol) are not taken into account.
Web site for additional job details: http://itnintense.df.unipi.it/
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Required Qualification and Skills:
- High level and proven of accomplishment with excellent background in particle physics and in physics of fundamental interactions.
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated hands-on experience in particle detectors development, commissioning and operation; development and optimization of calibration algorithms and procedures; development of Monte Carlo simulations; data analysis and advanced statistical methods for data analysis; C/C++ programming.
- Good knowledge of FPGAs and microcontrollers, firmware, algorithms and software, embedded systems with Linux/Windows embedded environment and C/C++ programming, control and DAQ systems, performance simulations, experimental characterization, troubleshooting and qualification would be an advantage.
- Ability to produce scientific/technical reports.
- High motivation to learning and developing new technologies and creativity in applying them to relevant applications; collaborating on projects with external partners; research and innovation processes.
Required Behavioral competencies:
- Communicating effectively: Ability to speak and write clearly and effectively in English; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; listening actively to others; ensuring that information, procedures and workflow are appropriately documented and communicated.
- Achieving results: planning and implementing tasks with a structured and organized approach; setting and reviewing priorities keeping in mind the expected results; Contributing actively to delivering results in an efficient and effective manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills and capability to work both in a team and independently.
- Independent/critical thinking as well as persistence in front of setbacks and self-discipline are important qualities taken into consideration.
EURAXESS offer ID: 559627
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.