ORGANISATION/COMPANYVrije Universiteit Brussel
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › OtherPhysics › Optics
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/10/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Brussels
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
Lasers with the capability to emit simultaneously at multiple wavelength, i.e. multi-color lasers, open exciting perspectives for a wide range of applications, from optical sensing to data-communication or mm-wave and THz all-optical processing. Combined with the outstanding and continuous progress of generic foundry platforms making Photonic Integrated Circuits widely available, it is now possible to design multi-color lasers specifically tailored for various applications. The main bottleneck of this development is the difficulty to finely control multi-color lasers. In short, depending on the internal mechanism, these lasers can either be versatile but extremely sensitive, or robust but without any practical control parameter. Yet, we recently proposed a new technique based on phase-controlled optical feedback which showed great promises. We were able to induce complete wavelength switch in two-colour laser with a suppression ratio up to 50 dB. Moreover, the feedback cavity can be monolithically integrated on the same chip than the laser, hence ensuring a low footprint of the complete system.
Now, in the frame of a Starting Grant from the European Research Council: ERC-StG-2020 project COLOR’UP (https://b-phot.org/research/european-research-council/color-up), we want to focus on the dynamics of multi-color lasers and investigate how they could be exploited for processing optical signals all-optically. In this context, we are looking for an excellent Post-Doctoral researcher in photonics to join our team. The research work will therefore include:
- Design and simulation of novel multi-color laser structures compatible with the constraints of the generic foundry platform
- Testing, validation and detailed characterization of the photonic ICs
- Investigation of the dynamical behaviour and mode competition of the laser when subject to optical feedback and/or optical injection
- Development of a demonstrator for all-optical processing using multi-color laser
Beyond the scientific tasks, the post-doctoral researcher will be expected to take the following responsibilities:
- Management of the dedicated experimental setup for Photonic ICs
- Co-supervision of and collaboration with the two PhD students involved in the project
- Active contribution to the writing of personal or collaborative project proposals. The post-doctoral researcher will indeed be given the opportunity to develop his own research activities and collaboration network.
The candidate will join the Brussels Photonics (B-PHOT) research group of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) in Belgium, www.b-phot.org. Chaired by Prof. H. Thienpont, the team composed of more than 45 internationally recognized researchers is widely known for its work in fundamental and applied photonics research covering the entire research cycle from modelling and fabrication, to characterization and Proof-Of-Concept. In the last 20 years, the group has built a significant expertise in the field of semiconductor laser – including modelling, design and on-chip implementation of new laser structures – but also in nonlinear dynamics and chaos-based applications. The candidate will therefore have the opportunity to contribute to the field in a vivid and fruitful environment.
Starting date: December 2020 – February 2021.
For more information, please contact Prof. M. Virte (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To apply, please send your detailed CV, letters of recommendation(s), any supporting documents demonstrating technical skills (thesis or scientific paper) and an application letter to Prof. M. Virte (email@example.com) by e-mail before November 1st, 2020.
If no suitable candidate has been found after the deadline, the position will remain open until it is fulfilled.
If your application is selected based on the CV and accompanying documents, you will be invited for a teleconference interview and online tests.
The work location will be the VUB Humanities, Science and Engineering campus, Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium which is easily accessible by public transports, bike or car.
At VUB, your days will be spent in a dynamic, diverse and multilingual environment. Our main campus is set within green oases on the outskirts of the centre of the capital of Flanders, Belgium and Europe. This centre, with all its opportunities, is within your reach by public transport in under half an hour. As an employee of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, you will receive an attractive salary corresponding to one of the pay scales laid down by the government, depending on your experience and academic merits. Hospitalisation insurance and free use of public transport for travel to and from work are standard conditions of employment. If you would rather cycle to work, compensation is also available for that.
More information is available at www.vub.be under the heading ‘future employees.
The selection process will take place in two steps:
First, the file of each applicant will be carefully screened and reviewed. Well-suited candidates will be selected on this basis.
Second, selected candidates will be invited to a teleconference interview during which they will be asked a broad set of technical and non-technical questions.
Finally, all retained candidates will be ranked based on their academic records and their interview, and the candidate ranked 1st will be offered the position.
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Other
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › Optics
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: PhD or equivalentPhysics: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Candidates should possess a PhD degree in photonic integration, laser physics or nonlinear dynamics or a related field.
- A strong interest in photonic integration is required, and experience working with Photonic IC is a strong plus. Knowledge of photonic circuit simulation tools such as Lumerical FDTD and Interconnect or Photon Design OmniSim and PICWave is a plus.
- Expertise in chaos theory, laser physics, nonlinear dynamics or signal processing is a strong plus.
- Good programming skills are required. Experience with Matlab, Scilab, R, Python or similar language and environment is a strong plus.
- Good knowledge of numerical techniques and advanced simulation methods is a strong plus.
- The candidate is expected to be able to carry out your research activities independently and in a critical manner, whilst having excellent communication skills and a positive attitude towards collaboration.
- Good time management skills are a must, along with the ability to meet tight deadline and work efficiently under pressure.
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English (typically CEFR level C1 or equivalent) is required.
- The candidates should be prepared to travel in Europe and potentially worldwide e.g. for participation to conferences or research stays at partner institutions.
This post-doc position is ideally for a relatively long-term collaboration > 3-4 years with possible opportunities for a more permanent position at a later stage. Nevertheless, excellent candidates willing to stay only for a shorter period of time (~ 2 years) are welcome to apply as this will not be considered during the evaluation process.
Candidates that have not yet acquired their PhD degree can apply and participate in the selection procedure but need to show that there are in the process of defending their PhD thesis in the coming months.
The candidate is expected to endorse the educational vision of the university (full text available on the university website).
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in both spoken and written English (typically CEFR level C1 or equivalent) is required.
EURAXESS offer ID: 555520
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.