ORGANISATION/COMPANYAGH University of Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › ProgrammingEngineering › Communication engineeringEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Electronic engineeringEngineering › Sound engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE27/09/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Krakow
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2020
We are looking for 2 PhD students to work on a project "Audio Processing using Acoustic Sensor Networks"
Brief project description:
Connecting several smart devices equipped with microphones has a potential in overcoming the challenges of hands-free voice communication such as a weak signal of a desired speaker and high levels of noise and interfering sounds. The goal of the project is to develop multichannel audio signal processing techniques which collaboratively process the microphone signals of distributed devices in order to analyze the recorded sound scene, localize and identify acoustic sources, and enhance signals of the desired speakers. Distributed processing should increase speech intelligibility in hands-free communication and provide robust voice-based human-computer interfaces from distance.
For this position key responsibilities include:
- Developing algorithms for speech enhancement in a distributed speech acquisition system including source separation, interferer, noise and reverberation reduction
- Developing algorithms for automatic speaker/speech recognition
- Implementing already developed solutions in software for demonstration applications
- Testing and evaluating obtained results
- Designing and performing measurements and experiments using audio equipment
- Writing publications, reports, and presenting at conferences
- Involvement in execution of project tasks
- Working both independently and jointly with other researchers and external collaborators (including possible visits to partner universities).
We offer an opportunity to conduct research leading to a PhD degree in an inspiring scientific environment at one of the top-ranked universities in Poland. We provide audio equipment, facilities, and scientific support of senior stuff and external experts from international project partner universities in Europe. We offer funding for the research work, participation in conferences and training, and international research visits to partner universities.
The candidate should have a PhD status or be eligible for conducting PhD studies in Poland.
Selected candidates will be interviewed within 1 week after the application deadline.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentComputer science: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- M.Sc. in Electronics, Telecommunication, Computer Science, Acoustic Engineering, Audio Engineering or related discipline
- Knowledge of digital signal processing and linear algebra
- Very good command of programming languages C++ and Python, and good command of Matlab
- Proficiency in English (both written and spoken)
- Eligibility for conducting PhD studies in Poland
- Interest in audio/speech processing and high motivation for conducting scientific work towards a PhD degree
Knowledge and experience in the following topics will be considered an asset:
- audio signal processing
- machine learning in speech processing
- software development and testing
- distributed processing
- speech enhancement including source separation, source
localization, noise reduction, dereverberation, beamforming, etc.
Please submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (with a photograph)
- Cover Letter
- Certificates of academic degrees (together with transcripts of studies)
- List of significant academic achievements (list of publications, awards, conference presentations, participation in projects, etc.)
We welcome applications from students who already have a PhD status at other universities, who would like to join the project.
For candidates to be admitted to the PhD program at AGH, the details on the program and terms and conditions of admission please see the following link: https://www.agh.edu.pl/en/doktoranci/doctoral-schools/agh-doctoral-school/admissions-20202021/
Please include in your offer:
“I hereby give consent for my personal data included in my application to be processed for the purposes of the recruitment process under the Personal Data Protection Act as of 29 August 1997, consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2016, item 922 as amended.”
EURAXESS offer ID: 555159
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.