RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/08/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Nijmegen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40.0
A postdoctoral researcher as part of the Digital Good project, an ERC-funded project led by Dr. Tamar Sharon. The position is for three years and four months, commencing as soon as possible after 1 September 2020. You should have a background in philosophy/ethics (of technology), science and technology studies, or critical data studies. Furthermore, you should be comfortable with a combination of conceptual and ethnographic work. Besides joining the Digital Good project, you will also actively contribute to the development of the iHub, the Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Privacy and Data Governance.
The Digital Good project explores the ethical and societal challenges associated with the 'Googlisation of health': the move of large consumer technology companies such as Alphabet, Apple and Amazon into the domain of health and biomedical research. Team members will conduct fieldwork to map, analyse and critically evaluate the different conceptions of the common good that motivate various stakeholders participating in research collaborations between consumer tech firms and public research institutions, drawing on the framework of 'orders of worth' developed by Boltanski and Thévenot in On Justification (2006). Fieldwork will take place at various sites in Europe and the USA. The empirical findings will be used to develop a normative framework for data governance in this context that can account for different and competing conceptions of the common good. Team members will conduct independent research and contribute to the overall framework development.
More information about the project 'Digital Good - The Digital Disruption of Health Research and the Common Good: An Empirical-Philosophical Study' can be found here.
- Employment: 40 hours per week.
- A maximum gross monthly salary of € 5,127 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 11).
- The exact salary depends on the candidate's qualifications and amount of relevant professional experience.
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: 3 years plus the 4 maternity leave months of a colleague.
- The intended start date is as soon as possible.
- You will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service: our Dual Career Officer will assist with family-related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
- Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
Please address your application to Dr. Tamar Sharon and submit it, using the application button, no later than 20 August 2020, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- A motivation letter (max. 2,000 words) explaining why you are interested in the position and your qualifications for it.
- Your CV including a full publication list and the names and contact details of two references.
- A writing sample: two publications, published or under review, preferably single-authored.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Dr. Tamar Sharon, Associate Professor
Web site for additional job details
- PhD in philosophy (of technology), applied ethics, STS or critical data studies; candidates with other relevant backgrounds are also welcome to apply, provided their interests match the profile.
- Demonstrable interest in digital society, data ethics, data governance and/or the political economy of data sharing.
- Some experience carrying out empirical research (such as qualitative interviewing).
- Strong capacity for critical reflection, creative thinking and conceptual clarity.
- Willingness and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Experience working on scientific projects (e.g. workshop/conference panel organisation).
- Experience in the acquisition of internationally competitive funding is an advantage.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
EURAXESS offer ID: 547716
Posting organisation offer ID: 293559
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.