ORGANISATION/COMPANYIFREMER - Institut Français de Recherche pour l&#039;Exploitation de la MER
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental scienceMathematics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/08/2020 21:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › Le Robert
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
The Institute and the recruiting departement
A pioneer in ocean science, IFREMER’s cutting-edge research is grounded in sustainable development and open science. Our vision is to advance science, expertise and innovation to:
- Protect and restore the ocean
- Sustainably use marine resources to benefit society
- Create and share ocean data, information & knowledge.
With more than 1,500 personnel spread along the French coastline in more than 20 sites, the Institute explores the 3 great oceans: the Indian, Atlantic and Pacific oceans. A leader in ocean science, IFREMER is managing the French Oceanographic Fleet and its dedicated scientists create ground-breaking technology to push the boundaries of ocean exploration and knowledge, from the abyss to the atmosphere-ocean interface.
Well-established in the international scientific community, our scientists, engineers and technicians are committed to advance knowledge about our planet’s last unexplored frontiers. They provide the science we need for informed decision-making and public policy and they transfer this knowledge and technology to businesses to fulfill public and private needs. Core to our mission is also to strengthen public awareness about the importance of understanding the ocean and its resources, and empowering future generations of leaders through education and outreach national campaigns.
Founded in 1984, IFREMER is a French public organization and its budget approximates 240 million euros. It is operating under the joint authority of the French Ministry for Higher Education, Research and Innovation, the French Ministry for the Ecological and Solidary Transition, and the French Ministry of Agriculture and Food.
General areas of responsibility
Placed under the hierarchical responsibility of the Indian Ocean Delegate, this Civic Service Volunteer (VSC) contributes more particularly to the work of the DOI in connection with the themes of "environment & biodiversity" and is co-supervised by the manager of the "Environment" unit and the manager of the SEATIZEN project.
In his areas of competence, notably statistics, he / she contributes to projects with the aim of (i) acquiring knowledge, (ii) processing and enhancing data and (iii) developing / deploying technology and decision-making tools through:
- preparation and analysis of spatial and / or temporal data sets collected by the DOI on biodiversity and environment components (habitat & species in particular),
- development and improvement of automatic reports for the description of metadata and data / results. He can also put his skills at the service of other themes developed by the DOI, in particular for the promotion / popularization of results.
- Prepare data sets for their analyzes (eg error detection, formatting, relational table)
- Contribute to the definition of relevant analyzes (statistics / cartography / image processing) relevant to answer scientific questions "biodiversity / environment" then carry them out by developing the code associated with the need
- Document the different stages of the analyzes (specifications, codes, treatment reports, etc.)
- Prepare the associated data and metadata to enable their management and banking via Information Systems and institutional applications (SEXTANT, etc.)
- Implement the means and tools for the exploitation / enhancement of data and contribution to deployments, evolutions and maintenance in operational conditions of these tools implemented locally (SURVAL, Atlas DCE, Sextant,…).
Required Knowledge, skills, and characteristics
- Maximum 5-year-degree in statistics
- Appreciated experience in the fields of marine ecology or biology (internship, etc.)
- Driving licence: Category B is essential
Skills implemented Technical skills / trades:
of statistics with specialty or experience (s) in marine ecology /
biology • Mastery of linear and non-linear modeling techniques,
- Experience in programming and statistical tools (R, python, matlab …)
- Knowledge of geomatics treatments (QGIS ...)
- Knowledge and experience in the use of data banking applications
- Experience in image recognition and classification appreciated
- Control of office automation tools: word processing, spreadsheet and database (SQL ...)
- Ability to work in a team and collaborate internally and externally (local and national)
- Organizational and practical skills
- Ability to synthesize and writing skills
- Autonomy, thoroughness, open-mindedness, spirit of initiative
Specific working conditions
- Full time: 100%
- Occasional work in staggered hours and on weekends. Possible boardings.
- The status of civic service volunteering is governed by the regulations relating to civic service.
- Amount of compensation before CSG-CRDS direct debit: 1,700 € monthly uros (exempt from income tax)
EURAXESS offer ID: 547657
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.