ORGANISATION/COMPANYIFREMER - Institut Français de Recherche pour l&amp;#039;Exploitation de la MER
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE23/08/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › Plouzané
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
The Institute and the recruiting departement
A pioneer in ocean science, IFREMER’s cutting-edge research is grounded in sustainable development and open science. Our vision is to advance science, expertise and innovation to:
- Protect and restore the ocean
- Sustainably use marine resources to benefit society
- Create and share ocean data, information & knowledge.
With more than 1,500 personnel spread along the French coastline in more than 20 sites, the Institute explores the 3 great oceans: the Indian, Atlantic and Pacific oceans. A leader in ocean science, IFREMER is managing the French Oceanographic Fleet and its dedicated scientists create ground-breaking technology to push the boundaries of ocean exploration and knowledge, from the abyss to the atmosphere-ocean interface.
Well-established in the international scientific community, our scientists, engineers and technicians are committed to advance knowledge about our planet’s last unexplored frontiers. They provide the science we need for informed decision-making and public policy and they transfer this knowledge and technology to businesses to fulfill public and private needs. Core to our mission is also to strengthen public awareness about the importance of understanding the ocean and its resources, and empowering future generations of leaders through education and outreach national campaigns.
Founded in 1984, IFREMER is a French public organization and its budget approximates 240 million euros. It is operating under the joint authority of the French Ministry for Higher Education, Research and Innovation, the French Ministry for the Ecological and Solidary Transition, and the French Ministry of Agriculture and Food.
General areas of responsibility
The LITTORAL Unit is made up of nine Environmental Resources Laboratories (LER) covering the metropolitan coastline. Its main missions are coastal observation, monitoring of the quality of shellfish products in the natural environment, the study of coastal and shellfish ecosystems and the provision of expertise and advice to the public services. 'State. The lagoon ecosystems exploited by shellfish farming are at the center of LER research projects and observation networks in the Occitanie region. This work deals with the study of (1) the impact of natural or anthropogenic environmental fluctuations on their functioning, (2) ecological restoration processes in these environments and (3) the reconciliation between good ecological status and maintenance. shellfish farming. Since January 2015, the LER / LR has integrated the Joint Research Unit (UMR) MARBEC , Marine Biodiversity, Exploitation and Conservation, whose supervisory authorities are the IRD, Ifremer, the University of Montpellier and the CNRS. MARBEC is one of the largest laboratories working on marine biodiversity and its uses in France with about 230 agents, including 80 researchers and teacher-researchers.
- He / she will contribute to the project SECTOX (Study of the contamination by phycotoxins (PSP and lipophilic including DSP) of oysters and mussels of the lagoon of Thau - Temporal and spatial dynamics of this contamination in the optics of a sectorized management of the lagoon). In this context he / she will participate in sampling campaigns in the Thau lagoon.
- He / she will provide phytoplankton analysis (toxic species).
- He / she will perform lipophilic toxin analyzes of the shellfish collected for this study.
As a technician, he / she:
- will be in charge of the identification and counting of toxic phytoplankton by reverse optical microscopy on samples acquired under the project;
- participate in water withdrawals and in situ measurements during in situ sampling campaigns;
- participate in performing lipophilic toxin analyzes by liquid chromatography coupled to a mass spectrometer (LC-MS / MS);
- will help manage orders, inventory and maintenance of phytoplankton and toxin laboratories.
Required Knowledge, skills, and characteristics
Bac + 2 type Intechmer / IUT / BTS science of the sea
Skills implemented Technical skills / trades :
- Field work fitness required (coastal boarding)
- Knowledge and practice of toxic marine phytoplankton determination techniques
- Knowledge in phytoplankton ecology
- Experience working in a laboratory under the guise of a desired ISO 17025 quality system or Good Laboratory Practice appreciated
Personal qualities :
- Team work
- Ability to listen and to train
Specific working conditions
- Full time job.
- Embarkation at sea.
EURAXESS offer ID: 547642
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.