ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversité de Rouen Normandie
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Systems designEngineering › Systems engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/11/2020 17:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › Saint Etienne du Rouvray
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE16/11/2020
The “Perception and Interaction” group (P&I), part of the LITIS lab (150 researchers), University of Rouen Normandy (France), is involved in multidisciplinary research at the intersection of computer vision, computer science, mathematics, mechatronics and cognitive science. The group models and designs mainly intelligent wearable systems for visually impaired people with multimodal ICT technologies (vision, tactile, audio, AI). The group worked/works on fundamental research problems (models, algorithms and experimental evaluation) and their application to visually impaired persons (VIP) interaction with the space (mobility, art perception). Several international and national research projects ("Smart glasses", "HUmanPERception", ACCESSPACE, NAV-VIR, Museum Guide) have been or are implemented in collaboration with industrial and academic partners (CEA, Collège de France, CNRS, InsideVision, MIT, DoD, Panama University, Pavia University, Kaunas University, Technical University of Lodz, etc.). The group has received the USA PETA’s “Price for ethical technological research” (2012), and the CCAH’s “Applied research on deficiency” award (2017).
It is expected that the post-doc fellow will contribute to on going research projects (e.g. pagesperso.litislab.fr/~sgay/index.php?page=postdoc&lang=en, « Museum Guide » project, mystifying-austin-87a7b8.netlify.app/fr/, ACCESPACE accesspace.univ-rouen.fr/index.php), and significantly advance the state-of-the-art in all aspects of VIP’s interaction with the space via embedded perception and man-machine interactive wearable systems.
This includes the following sub-topics/subtasks to be addressed during the postdoc :
- Indoor & outdoor multimodal autonomous mobility modelling (bio-inspired, VIO (Visual Inertial Odometry), GNSS, multi-sensor data fusion etc.) for VIP mobility assistance
- Modelling of the VIP mobility assistive devices
- Design of a wearable embedded multimodal assistances for VIP interaction with space (haptic device, a tactile belt, embedded vision system)
- Images segmentation & their tactile representations
- Experimental evaluations' preparation and their carring (protocol design, collected data processing/analysis) of the designed systems in simulated environments and in ecological settings with human participants (VIP, museums’ staff, etc.)
- Publishing of the results and participation in dissemination activities.
The employment will take place with respect to national regulations (Labor code) with social security and retirement benefits.
Beneficial and welfare schemes and wide range of sports and cultural offers are provided.
The position is for 1 year with renewal granted after the first year if both parties are satisfied, and will be paid according to the French salary regulations for postdoctoral scholars depending on the candidate’s previous experience.
The position will remain open until satisfactory candidate is found.
Please send via email to Edwige.Pissaloux@univ-rouen.fr (in .pdf format with scanned signature) your application including :
- A letter of intent specifying research experience and intended contributions and the starting date
- The curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications and scientific achievements and interests
- Master degree marks
- An e-copy or at least summary and outline of your PhD
- E-copy of up to 3 representative recent paper publications
- Names and email addresses of at least two permanent staff acquainted with research activities of the candidate to be contacted for letter of recommendation
The name of each file should start with candidate-name followed by applied position (post-doc) and nickname of the content.
The candidate may be asked by email for an e-interview (skype, zoom, BBB,…) with the appointment international committee.
The LITIS lab is located in the city named Saint Etienne du Rouvray, with tramway access from the center of Rouen.
Some teaching classes (in French and in English) at the University (undergraduate and graduate levels) are possible, and will be paid in addition.
Female and disabled applicants, and people with immigration background with equivalent qualifications will be given preferential consideration.
Since we will not return your documents, please submit their e-copy only.
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: PhD or equivalentEngineering: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESFRENCH: BasicENGLISH: Good
PhD in Computer Science, Robotics or closely related field
Good theoretical and practical background in
- Computer Vision, Image processing, (multimodal) Perception (& sensing), Interaction
- Robotics (navigation, bioinspired navigation, VIO, etc.)
- Mechatronics/automation/control electronics
- AI, computer engineering, embedded systems (GPU, FPGA)
Good programming skills (python, Java, C/C++; Matlab)
Knowledge of 3D modelling and 3D printing (e.g. Maya, Blender, SolidWorks)
Theoretical knowledge of Bayesian models will be a plus
- experience with real robotic hardware (programming, electronics & mechanics)
- experience with Ubuntu/Linux
- open mind towards cognitive science and visually impaired sciences & technologies
- scientific curiosity and ability to work autonomously
- proactive team working attitude
- good communication skills (at least in English)
- availability to co-supervise M.Sc. and PhD candidates on the post-doc topics
- availability to travel to international conferences and meetings with partners
- assistance in administrative works as a project partner
- European work permit
EURAXESS offer ID: 543443
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.