ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Luxembourg
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceCultural studiesTechnology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/12/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Luxembourg
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research University and an equal opportunity employer. Luxembourg is a dynamic, multicultural country in the heart of Europe with a strong research and development base supported by important organisational resources.
The University of Luxembourg invites applications for the following vacancy shared between the Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM), the Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB), the Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History (C2DH) and the Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) within the innovative “Luxembourg Time Machine” (LuxTIME) project. The main objective of the project is to explore the potential for building a digital platform that allows to “dive” into the industrial past of the Minette region. The interdisciplinary project will be using digital tools and data from different fields such as history, biomedicine, chemistry, bioinformatics, data science and eco-hydrology. As such, LuxTIME aims at exploring radically new ways of analyzing and interpreting factual evidence of the past by building an interdisciplinary framework for the investigation and visualization of “big data” of the past.
Doctoral researcher position in Historical Data Visualization
The focus of this PhD project is to develop an interface for the presentation / visualization of the data that will be harvested throughout the LuxTIME-project. Inspired by new ways of data visualization in the field of bioinformatics, digitized cultural heritage collections, or environmental archaeology, the PhD student should develop creative solutions for “deep mapping” of the Minette region, enabling the exploration of different “layers” and “types” of data in a meaningful and playful way. A close collaboration with ongoing research in the domain of generous/explorative interfaces and data visualization at the participating institutions is envisaged. The PhD student will be hosted at the Centre of Contemporary and Digital History but closely collaborate with the 2 other PhD students of the LuxTIME-project, working at the LCSB and LIST. All three PhD-projects will be framed by a larger group of senior researchers from all three institutions which participate in workshops and supervision of the project.
The candidate will work under supervision of Prof. Dr. Andreas Fickers (C2DH), Dr. Lars Wieneke (C2DH), Prof. Dr. Reinhard Schneider (LCSB)
For further information please contact: Prof. Dr. Andreas Fickers (email@example.com)
- Master’s degree or diploma in information design, interface design, data visualization, cultural informatics, historical data management & curation.
- Experience with the design, implementation and use of large scale databases; statistical and machine learning approaches for data analysis / visualization; design of explorative interfaces.
- High interest in working in an interdisciplinary research environment.
- English is mandatory, knowledge of French / German / Luxembourgish advantageous
- Initial 36 months fixed-term contract, renewable for up to 48 months, depending on thesis progress evaluation. Project funding is available for 48 months
- Full-time position (40 h/week)
- Student and employee status
- Starting date from Oct. 1st, 2020
- Highly competitive remuneration including all public national security system benefits
- A dynamic, exciting and equal opportunity international research environment
Applications should quote Ref: RCREQ0004302 (OTP R-AGR-3703-01-B B-IAS) and include:
- a full curriculum vitae, including any publications
- the contact details of two referees
- a copy of the relevant diplomas
- a cover letter indicating your motivation for the project, your relevant experience and future interests.
Please apply online, position will be advertised until filled
EURAXESS offer ID: 540799
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.