ORGANISATION/COMPANYHøgskolen i Østfold
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Autonomic computingComputer science › InformaticsMathematics › Algorithms
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE25/09/2020 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONNorway › Halden
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
About the position
The Machine Learning research group at Østfold University College, Faculty of Computer Sciences consists of a mix of scientific staff and master and doctoral students, many of whom have collaboration with external partners such as companies that specialize in machine learning. The group is a founding member of The Centre for Applied AI (https://www.appliedai.no/).
The group covers the whole spectrum from deep theoretical work to developing practical large-scale machine learning algorithms that are widely used in industry. Some topics we work with are neural networks, image processing, evolutionary computation and automatic programming. More information about the Machine Learning research group can be found here: https://www.hiof.no/it/english/research/groups/machine-learning/
The right person will get a central role in the resarch group. In addition to research, teaching and supervision, the position will contribute significantly to strengthen the ongoing establishment of a PhD program tentatively called “The Digital Society”. A truly cross diciplinary undertaking, involving other faculties at Østfold University College , the program focuses on sensible digitalization in our society, where machine learning plays an important role.
- a PhD within the field of machine learning
- a solid publication history in top machine learning journals and conferences such as JMLR, ICML or NIPS.
- documented knowledge of typical machine learning methods, such as ensemble techniques and neural networks
- a good command of the English language, both orally and in writing
Desired skills and experience
- documented ability to obtain competitive research funding
- aving supervised at least four PhD students to successful completion of their doctorates
- documented practical experience with design and implementation of machine learning systems
- experience from industry or an applied research institute within the field of machine learning
- documented teaching experience
- a good command of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language
General qualification requirements
There are general requirements for higher education, research qualifications/relevant practice and practical pedagogical competence. Read more about the requirements in the regulations on recruitment and promotion in teaching and research positions.
Permanent employment in the position requires educational qualifications. A position as assistant professor, senior lecturer or associate professor requires courses in university and university college pedagogy (200 hours) and qualifications in forms of digital learning (50 hours). A position as associate professor and professor requires additional pedagogical qualifications. See further description: Educational qualifications requirements at HiØ.
If you do not fulfil the requirement for pedagogical qualifications, the employment is provisional for up to two years. The university college offers a course of study in practical university college pedagogy and digital teaching forms.
Applicants with insufficient abilities in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language may be required to acquire the necessary oral and written skills over a three-year period. The language requirement is documented by the passing of the Bergen Test at level B2, or equivalent.
- the position is remunerated as 1013 Professor between NOK 704 900 – 906 000. The salary scale will depend on qualifications, experience and a market assessment.
- good insurance schemes, pension and loan opportunities in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- positive and educative working environment
Submission of applications
You shall submit your application via our recruitment system Jobbnorge. All accompanying documentation shall be in Norwegian, Scandinavian or English.
Describe your core areas of teaching and R&D that are relevant to the position. In addition, you must attach
- complete publications list in which the most central/relevant works are discussed
- documentation of educational qualifications
- relevant testimonials and diplomas
Relevant applicants will be asked to submit publications and scientific works for expert assessment.
For further information about the position, please contact
- Harald Holone, Dean of the Faculty of Computer Sciences
+47 696 08 281, +47 911 93 486, email@example.com
- Roland Olsson, Associate Professor at the Faculty of Computer Sciences
+47 696 08 327, firstname.lastname@example.org
Østfold University College practices an inclusive working life and conforms to the government’s inclusion efforts. This means that we welcome qualified applicants with disabilities, different national or ethnic backgrounds, and candidates who, for various reasons, are unable to document an unbroken professional career.
We practice open government in the state. If you require any confidential processing of your application, please note that information about you may still be disclosed. You will then be notified of this, cf. §25 of the Freedom of Information Act
If you state that you have disabilities, an immigrant background or gaps in your CV, your information may be used for statistical purposes.
Østfold University College is located in Fredrikstad and Halden; near the skerries and islands of the coast and close to great walking terrain, but at the same time not far from cities such as Oslo and Gothenburg.
We are a growing and developing university college that focuses on good, close cooperation with our students and across academic disciplines. We have a strong position in relation to the business community, and good relations with our local and regional partners. We offer a broad range of study programmes at bachelor's and master's degree level focusing on relevant research.
For more information about Østfold University College, visit our website at http://www.hiof.no//?lang=eng
EURAXESS offer ID: 537568
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.