ORGANISATION/COMPANYFondation nationale des Sciences Politiques
RESEARCH FIELDPolitical sciences › Governance
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/07/2020 14:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › PARIS
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK27h15
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The Centre for Political Science Research of Sciences Po (CEVIPOF) based in Paris is recruiting for a postdoctoral position for a European Coordination and Support H2020 project “REDEM: Reconstructing Democracy In Times of Crisis: A Voter-Centred Perspective” (GA no. 870996). Website : http://www.redem-h2020.eu/insights.html
The postdoc will work with REDEM’s coordinator, Annabelle Lever, a political philosopher, helping to develop the voter-centred perspective on democratic elections of REDEM. The output will be used to create classroom and interactive web-based educational materials for the general public. While the postdoc will mainly be involved in developing the voter-centred perspective on elections, s/he will also be involved in the preliminary construction of the teaching materials and, depending on expertise and interests, may also be involved in other aspects of the project. Demonstrated experience of postgraduate research and publications is a prerequisite for this position, as are the ability to work with others and to organise and support joint research and events.
REDEM is a three year project. It will coordinate and support research into the ethics of voting in European democracies; describe and analyse the moral and political choices which citizens typically face at elections, and the ways in which different types of electoral choice and different levels of government, make it more or less likely that citizens will be forced to confront morally painful decisions (to vote for a party they despise, in order to prevent a xenophobic or racist candidate from winning; to abstain in protest at the choices that one faces, at the risk of opening the door to the worst of the available candidates). REDEM will also identify and develop new ways of engaging citizens with elections, whether or not they are currently willing to vote, produce educational materials on the ethical dimensions of voting and develop prototypes of game-based interactive materials on voting for educational and recreational purposes. The REDEM consortium is made up of members from Romania, the Netherlands, Italy, France, Sweden, Spain and Britain, and will be working with think-tanks and citizen-groups, with whom they will organise multiple workshops and events.
Please send your dossier electronically to email@example.com. A complete dossier will include a CV including publication list; a letter of motivation written in English and containing links to two articles/ chapters, published or unpublished. The names and contact information for two referees should be included in the CV.
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDPolitical sciences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPolitical sciences: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Excellent writing skills in English and, if possible, also in French or another project language.
- PhD in Political Science or allied discipline, with a specialty in Political Theory/Political Philosophy
- Good knowledge of democratic political theory and its relevance to analytic and critical debates on legitimacy and on equality/inequality.
- Interest in and, preferably, knowledge of debates in empirical political science about voter turnout, inequalities in political participation, political alienation
- Flexibility, the ability to work under pressure and to firm deadlines
- The ability to work at multiple tasks and with different groups of people
- The ability to engage in primary and secondary research, and to author solo and joint publications.
- Participate in independent and joint research on the moral and strategic dimensions of voting using the available secondary philosophical and social-scientific literature
- Participate in the analytic analysis of the ethical dilemmas that can present themselves to voters under different political circumstances (depending on events, different electoral systems, different levels of democratic politics etc).
- Help to match actual cases, drawn from European history and politics, to philosophical analysis for analytic and educative purposes
- Publish in scholarly journals alone, and with other members of the Consortium; author reports and participate in REDEM’s communication and dissemination activities (e.g., conference and workshop participation).
- Willingness to participate in drafting educational materials on the ethics of voting, as well as to author research papers and reports.
- Willingness to participate in project conferences and meetings in Paris and elsewhere.
- Willingness to help with the coordination of REDEM activities and the organisation of project events.
EURAXESS offer ID: 531526
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.