ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Amsterdam (UvA)
RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE19/06/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Amsterdam
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK10.0
The Faculty of Humanities has a vacancy for a Lecturer in Historical Archaeology.
The candidate has relevant university teaching experience and is able to teach existing lecture and seminar courses in the BA programme in Archaeology, the MA programme in Archaeology, and the research- MA programme Heritage, Memory, Material Culture (all taught in English).
Proven flexibility in teaching on topics beyond the candidate's own research focus is important and the candidate should be able to provide inspiring lectures and seminars in the ACASA bachelor's and master’s programmes. The courses that will be covered are listed below and include aspects of theoretical archaeology and material culture studies, and laboratory based practical’s working with archaeological materials from recent historical periods:
- BA Theory in Archaeology
- MA Research Lab
- MA Archaeology, Heritage & Society
- RMA, Matter, Materiality & Material Culture
- RMA Archaeology & Heritage (Tutorials and Internships)
- Developing, coordinating and teaching courses in both Dutch and English, in the BA and MA programmes;
- supervising and tutoring BA and MA students;
- actively contributing to the development and improvement of the broader teaching programmes in the Department;
- taking part in committees and working groups, and carrying out departmental administrative tasks as directed.
The contract is temporary for a period of one year (12 months). Extension of the temporary contract is not possible. The contract will preferably commence between 17 August and 1 September 2020.
The UFO profile for this position is, dependent on relevant experience, Docent 4 (scale 10) or Docent 3 (scale 11). The gross monthly salary will range from €2,709 (start scale 10) to €4.978 (end scale 11), based on a full-time employment contract (38 hours a week).
The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
The Faculty of Humanities wants to improve the diversity of its research community with respect to ethnicity, gender, sexuality and class. Applications that contribute to this are particularly encouraged.
Applications, including a motivation letter, a detailed curriculum vitae, a list of publications, and the names and email addresses of two referees who can provide letters of recommendation, should be submitted electronically no later than 19 June 2020 to the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, Prof. Fred Weerman, by using the link below.
Only complete applications received via this link will be considered.
The interviews will be held online on 26 June 2020. A trial lecture (online if necessary) will be part of the application procedure.
For more information on the project, please contact:
Would you like to learn more about working at the University of Amsterdam? Visit our website.
Web site for additional job details
The candidate holds a PhD in Archaeology. They have a proven commitment to modern world historical archaeology as a research practice that is fundamentally interdisciplinary, and is driven by theoretically informed approaches to material culture and human behaviour. The candidate’s teaching experience should demonstrate a proven ability to deliver BA, MA, and RMA courses on text-aided documentary archaeology, material culture studies, and transnational approaches to archaeologies of race, class, and gender within the context of North Western European, or Dutch global historical archaeology.
Furthermore the candidate:
- has proven commitment to interdisciplinarity, in teaching;
- has demonstrable ability to engage in the theoretically grounded analysis of a range of material culture across different media;
- has experience in university teaching at BA and MA level;
- has demonstrable experience with digital and audiovisual teaching facilities; affinity with ICT in university teaching;
- has excellent organizational experience and skills;
- has broad teaching skills, relevant to multiple departments in the Faculty of Humanities;
- is a good team worker and versatile at all levels, capable of multidisciplinary co-operation;
- has the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO);
- has native or near-native fluency in Dutch and English as reqired for teaching and administrative duties.
EURAXESS offer ID: 528336
Posting organisation offer ID: 292148
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.