ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Tartu
RESEARCH FIELDLiterature › Comparative literature
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/07/2020 18:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONEstonia › Tartu
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
Duties and responsibilities
- Directing and developing teaching activities in history of world literature and comparative literature on all levels of studies. To be responsible on BA level (in the program of Literature and Cultural Research) of study courses of world literature and their coordination with other courses of the program; on master level (in the program of Literature and Theater Studies), of directing and developing independent studies in world literature; on PhD level, of granting internationally recognized quality of studies and the possibility of obtaining a doctoral degree in the speciality of Comparative Literature (within the program of Literature and Cultural Research, in accordance with the corresponding doctoral school).
- Coordinating teaching of world literature and literary-theoretical courses in the programs of Teacher of Estonian language and Literature and in cooperation with the study programs of the College of World Languages and Cultures.
- Heading international research and development activity in world literature and comparative literary studies, taking care that necessary resources are available for it and supervising students and academic personnel of the chair.
- Supervising students (primarily master’s and doctoral students).
- Development of specialist terminology and didactical material in the Estonian language; enhance translation and interpretation of world literature in Estonian; spreading knowledge of world literature and comparative literary studies in Estonian society.
- Popularisation of the specialisation, permanently complementing his/her professional knowledge and skills.
- Taking care of the formation of capable young scholars and lecturers in the field of world literature and comparative literary research and complementing their knowledge and skills, to grant continuation to academic activities in the field of world literature and comparative literary research.
See also job description.
PhD or an equivalent qualification.
- A scientific and administrative competence for doing research is required.
- Internationally recognised professional research in world literature and comparative literature studies, the size of which corresponds to at least three doctoral theses, incl. internationally recognised research in the last five years at least in the volume equivalent to that of 1.5 doctoral thesis.
- It is expected that the candidate displays success in applying for research funding and the experience in international co-operation.
- The precondition in the field of teaching is the ability to organise teaching and teach on all levels of higher education.
- Previous teaching experience at least on the first two levels of higher education, incl. effectively supervising master and doctoral students.
- Experience in creating study and teaching aids for higher education institutions.
- Knowledge of modern study aids, learning environments, learning methods and their development opportunities.
- The candidate must have experience in organising research events and in administrative work.
- Experience in the popularisation of theoretical knowledge, experience in team or project management.
Required language skills
Estonian and at least two other languages for teaching and research.
Starting at 01.02.2021.
Salary: Remuneration based on UT Salary Rules.
See also UT salary rules.
Prof Art Leete, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application documents and notification of results
In order to be considered for the position, the candidate must submit to the UT Human Resources Office (email: email@example.com; postal address: 18 Ülikooli St,Tartu 50090 ESTONIA; employees of the UT should submit their documents via intranet) following documents:
- a letter of application to the Rector,
- a curriculum vitae in the established format,
- a list of research publications (if necessary, enclosing copies or offprints of more important publications),
- a copy of a document (including its annexes) which shows the candidate to hold the required qualification (authorized translation into Estonian, English or Russian if the credential is not in one of these languages). A candidate can be required to submit the original or a certified copy of the document (including its annexes) showing the candidate to hold the required qualification. If the candidate has acquired the higher education in question abroad, he or she may be required to submit an assessment issued by the Academic Recognition Information Centre (the Estonian ENIC/NARIC) of his or her qualification in respect of the qualification requirements for the position;
- other materials considered relevant by the candidate (a list of such materials must be included in the application or annexed to it).
Candidates for the position of professor shall present a statement not exceeding 1500 words of the aims to be achieved during the term in the position, and the outline of an action plan for achieving these.
Number of copies: 1
Notification of results: The candidate will be notified of election results within two weeks following the election. The assessments drawn up in respect of the candidate and the documents specified in paragraph 5 of the list of documents will be returned to the candidate. Unsuccessful candidates can also request the return of documents specified in paragraphs 2 -4 of the list.
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 528146
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.