ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity College Cork
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesMedical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE29/05/2020 12:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONIreland › Cork
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK39
Fixed-term, Whole-time Post
APC Microbiome Ireland (APC) was formed in 2003 with funding from Science Foundation Ireland and in conjunction with key industry partners. It represents a seamless collaboration between UCC, Teagasc, Moorepark and CIT. It is widely recognised that the gut microbiota plays an important role in human health and has become one of the most dynamic, complex and exciting areas of research in both food and pharmaceutical arenas. Over the last decade the APC has established itself as one of the leading global centres in gut microbiota research. The APC has made several landmark discoveries and has published over 2500 research articles in peer-reviewed journals, generating many journal covers and associated editorials. The APC comprises over 300 individuals, from the scientific PI’s (the APC Faculty) funded by the partner Institutions, the management team, and a dedicated group of research scientists, research assistants and postgraduates students. The APC Microbiome Institute recognises that scientific advances can only be implemented with the support of an informed population and therefore the APC has a very active education and public engagement programme and supports SFI’s Agenda 2020 goal “To have the most engaged and scientifically informed public”. All APC staff play an active role in sharing our excitement about APC research, engaging with patient groups, consumers and young people, in order to encourage future generations to develop an understanding of the science issues that affect society.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, organized and dynamic scientists/public engagement specialist to join the APC’s Management team in the role of Education and Public Engagement Manager to co-ordinate and deliver the APC Education and Public Engagement (EPE) activities.
Applicants must have
· a PhD in a scientific discipline
· at least 5 years’ experience in public engagement
· a demonstrable broad knowledge of the field of education and public engagement
Description of Role
· Work with the APC’s General Manager and Executive Management Group to develop and deliver APC Microbiome Ireland’s EPE programmes
· Development of APC’s Public Engagement strategy, using logic models
· Development and implementation of methods to evaluate the impact of APC’s public engagement activities
· Overall responsibility for delivery of APC’s public engagement programme, including education activities for teachers, primary and secondary schools, general public, industry, APC research community, engaged research including PPI and citizen science etc
· Co-ordinate weeklong Transition Year programmes
· Development and delivery of lab workshops in UCC teaching labs for secondary school students on topics such as microbiology and molecular biology
· Develop new relationships with primary and secondary schools, particularly DEIS schools
· Co-ordination and representation of APC at local and national science festivals & other exhibitions e.g. Cork Science Festival
· Help to co-ordinate information sessions on APC research and related topics for the General Public, and industry workshops
· Maintenance of APC Education & Public Engagement records
· Liaise with Communications Manager with communications activities such as development of content for APC’s Gut Reaction Newsletter and development and posting of content on the APC websites (http://apc.ucc.ie & http://microbemagic.ucc.ie/ ) and APC social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram)
· Training and developing the confidence of APC researchers in public engagement activities
· Develop new ideas and activities for APC’s Public Engagement programme and
· Seek funding (such as EU grants and philanthropy) for EPE activities
· Collaborate with other SFI Centres and researchers, in Ireland and internationally, in areas of mutual EPE interest
· General Administration duties as required by the Director & General Manager of the APC, such as help with organisation of APC Conferences etc.
· Development of content for APC’s Governance and Annual Reports
· Arrange training for APC researchers on communications, public engagement, citizen science
· Networking with relevant groups nationally and internationally to enhance citizen engagement and dialogue
Project: Education and Public Engagement
Post Duration: until 31st May 2025
Salary: €45,000 p.a. (Personal Rate)
For an information package including further details of the post see https://ore.ucc.ie/. Job ID: 040511.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Dr Catherine Buckley, APC Microbiome Ireland, Tel: + 353 (0) 21 4903362 / 086 8554744 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be submitted online via the University College Cork vacancy portal (https://ore.ucc.ie/). Queries relating to the online application process should be referred to email@example.com, quoting the job-title and project name.
Candidates should apply, in confidence, before 12 noon (Irish Local Time) on Friday, 29th May 2020. No late applications will be accepted.
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE CORK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER
Please note that an appointment to posts advertised will be dependent on University approval, together with the terms of the employment control framework for the higher education sector.
EURAXESS offer ID: 525707
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.