ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDGeosciences › Geology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE08/06/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow at the Department of Earth Science to work on sediment routing systems in rift basins using 3D numerical modelling. The position is for a fixed-term period of three years and is affiliated to the PETROMAKS 2 project 'DeepRIft'.
About the project/work tasks:
The DeepRIft project is a multidisciplinary project integrating outcrop and marine geophysical data from the Corinth rift, numerical modelling of tectonics and surface processes, and 3D seismic and well data from the Norwegian continental shelf, to understand the controls on erosion, sediment transport and depositional processes within rift basins. The project is led by Professor Rob Gawthorpe at the University of Bergen with academic partners at the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research, the universities of Athens, Leeds, Lorraine (CRPG-CRNS), Northern Arizona, and Imperial College. It is financed by the Research Council of Norway and 4 industry partners.
The research will investigate controls on sediment routing systems in rift basins, such as the Corinth rift, Greece, and is part of a large research effort into understanding the relationships between rift basin formation, surface processes and rift basin stratigraphy. The postdoctoral research fellow will work on: i) impact of pre-existing topography and drainage on syn-rift stratigraphy and normal faulting, ii) evaluate the role of source-related sediment supply in controlling deep-water syn-rift stratigraphy, and iii) structural controls on deep-water sedimentation.
The successful candidate will be expected to take a leading role in developing research in these areas and to publish results in leading peer-reviewed publications. He/she will also be expected to participate in other activities/tasks such as teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels, mentoring master and PhD students.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally stimulating working environment
- Salary at pay grade 60 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 4) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 532 300.-. Further promotions are made according to length of service.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two references. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas. If you have not yet completed your PhD degree, please submit a statement from your institution confirming that the thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
Upon the expiry of the closing date for applications, an evaluation committee will be appointed. As an applicant, you have a right of access to the committee’s description of your formal and professional qualifications. If you wish to take advantage of this right of access, please contact the executive officer in charge after receiving information about the appointment of the evaluation committee.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELGeosciences: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within Quantitative Sedimentology/Geodynamics, or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Experience from and research interest in quantitative surface processes and tectonic modelling, and quantitative earth science is a requirement.
- Experience of quantitative analysis of sediment transport and deposition, and using this to understand controls on syn-rift sedimentology and stratigraphy is a requirement.
- Experience with long term tectonic modelling, and application of finite element methods is considered an advantage.
- Experience of normal faulting/rift basin formation and its effects on erosion and/or depositional systems is an advantage.
- Documented ability to present and publish the result of research at an international level in English and documented research potential is a requirement.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
EURAXESS offer ID: 525706
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.