ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Mediterranean and Oriental Cultures Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDHistory › Archaeology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE18/06/2020 21:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/07/2020
The post of assistant professor is offered in the Department of Ancient Egyptian and Near East Cultures, for a specialist in the field of the archaeology of Egypt with a special focus on subjects related to topography, landscape archaeology and GIS-database construction.
General expectations include: involvement in the research project entitled “Sun Temples Project. Religious spaces, ideological patterns and social dynamics of constructing the sacred landscape in Third Millennium BC Egypt”, which has been granted by the National Science Centre, within the call Sonata Bis 9 (2019/34/E/HS3/00438) run by Dr. Massimiliano Nuzzolo, submitting minimum one scientific publication during every year of employment, activity in promoting research conducted by the Institute.
Main Goals of the Post-doc position:
1. Construction, implementation and constant updating of a GIS-database pertaining the material related to the on-going excavations in the site of Abu Ghurab, sun temple of Niuserra and surrounding area (excavation material and reports, historical cartography, topographical material, remote sensing data, geo-physical data, material culture, etc.);
2. Construction of a DEM of the site as well as a 3D-model of the temple architecture;
3. Photogrammetric and RTI (Reflectance Transformation Imaging) documentation and analysis of the original decorative apparatus of the temple, kept in the museums of Cairo, Munich and London;
4. Participation in the activity of promoting research conducted by the Institute for the research project (conferences, workshops, training days, excavations in Egypt);
5. Submitting of at least 1 scientific article/work per year – altogether 4 scientific articles by the end of the project, of which at least 2 in international peer-reviewed journals – on the main subjects of the research project (see above).
Basic maternity leaves 20 weeks (6 of these may be used ante partum, and 6 may be used by father if his social security allows. In case of multiple births basic maternity leave is longer and dependent on a number of children (e.g. for twins – 33 weeks), after that parental leave, which can be used by either of parents (depending on their social security) is 32 to 34 weeks depending on a number of children. During the maternity leave the parent receives 100% of her/his original wage, while during the parental leave she/he receives 60%, but mothers, who decide at once to stay with the child for 1 year receive 80% for all that time. Vacation is 36 work days.
To take part in the competition the candidate has to fulfil conditions prescribed by the Law of Polish Academy of Sciences of 30th April 2010 (with later modifications).
The basic eligibility criterion is to possess a PhD in the field of Egyptian Archaeology acquired not later than 5 years prior to the application deadline.
Applicants should submit to the Secretary of the Institute
Pałac Staszica, ul. Nowy Świat 72 p. 327, 00-330 Warszawa
e-mail acceptable in form of secured *.pdf documents
1) Application addressed to the Director of the Institute (available on the website for download),
2) Motivation Letter (in English) explaining past experiences, qualifications skills, and interests to participate to the project (2 pages max.)
3) Scientific CV
4) Personal questionnaire (English version available at e-mail request)
5) Copy (certified as being a true copy) of PhD diploma or equivalent. In case of countries of origin whose documents of that type are not mutually recognised on basis of international agreements or the Prague Convention, a nostrification note issued by appropriate authorities according to Polish Law is necessary.
6) Résumé of the PhD thesis you submitted (5 pages max)
7) Copy of the PhD thesis (pdf format)
8) Copy of two articles chosen among the candidate last (5 years) scientific production
9) List of published works, including number of pages and publishing house;
10) Plan for a post-doc project, summarizing the idea, outlining research questions and state of the art in concern with the main research project, as well as the methodologies to be used and the time schedule (4 pages max)
11) Two letters of reference from members of the scientific community familiar with your work
12) Commitment, that in case of acceptance, the Institute will become the principal employee and the agreement to be included in the “N” quota of employees will be signed by applicant (available at e-mail request).
Interview at the Institute: 23rd of June 2020, 11:00 local time of Warsaw, possible interview via Skype.
Request for an interview via Skype communicator should be sent, together with applicants’ Skype name to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 1 day in advance of the interview.
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDHistory › Archaeology
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELHistory: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: GoodOTHER: Basic
- PhD in Egyptology / Egyptian Archaeology, with a preference in subjects related to topography, landscape archaeology and GIS-database construction.
- Experience in Old Kingdom Studies, especially in the history and archaeology of the site object of the call
- Documented achievements/experiences in GIS-database construction
- Documented achievements/experiences in photogrammetry / RTI documentation and related software (agisoft or any other similar program)
- Basic knowledge of Egyptian language (Middle Egyptian required)
- Basic knowledge of programs of writing the Egyptian language (G-Sesh, Visual-Glyph, or any other similar program)
- Teamwork skills and natural organisational talent
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at Institute of Mediterranean and Oriental Cultures Polish Academy of Sciences
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 524566
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.