ORGANISATION/COMPANYFree University of Bozen-Bolzano
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE13/07/2020 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONItaly › Bolzano
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
21 PhD positions (18 four-year funded PhD grants and an additional 3 unfunded positions) are currently offered by the Faculty of Computer Science of the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano in Italy for its PhD programme.
The Free University of Bozen-Bolzano was founded in 1997 as a multilingual (English, German, Italian) internationally oriented institution.
The university is located in one of the most fascinating European regions, the Dolomites. This young university has already established itself as an important research institution, both in Italy and abroad. According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019, the university is among the ten world’s best small universities and it is the second best young Italian University. According to the same ranking, the Faculty of Computer Science of the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano is the third best Italian computer science department, it is the best for international outlook Italian computer science department, and it is the best for citations Italian computer science department.
A public competition for in total 21 PhD positions at the Faculty of Computer Science is currently open, of which 18 positions will be fully covered by grants (17,000€ per year). In addition, students will have access to funding for attending summer schools and conferences. Additional financial support is given to spend a period of 6-12 months at an international research center.
The language of the PhD program is English.
The deadline for applications is the 13th July, 2020.
PhD candidates are strongly advised to look at the three areas (listed below) which are the focus of research at the Faculty of Computer Science, and to get in contact with their desired research area coordinators/supervisors before applying. The Selection Committee ranks PhD students based on a comparative assessment of the merits and qualifications of applicants, taking into account also feedback from potential supervisors in the selected research area.
Information and database systems engineering:
- Database technologies for spatial and temporal data
- Time series analytics for Industry 4.0
- Approximation Techniques in Databases
- Query Optimization in Databases
- Data Mining and Machine Learning for Personalization
- Information Access, Decision Support and Recommender Systems
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Interaction Design
- Edge Computing Architectures and Platforms
- Computational Mathematical and High-Performance Scientific Computing
- IoT and sensor data management and analytics
Knowledge representation and databases:
- Logic-based languages for knowledge representation
- Intelligent data access and integration
- Semantic technologies
- Conceptual and cognitive modelling
- Data-aware process modelling, verification, and synthesis
- Business process monitoring, mining, and conformance
- Temporal aspects of data and knowledge
- Extending database technologies
- Visual and verbal paradigms for information exploration
- Reasoning with uncertain and imprecise knowledge
Software and systems engineering:
- Empirical Software Engineering
- Mining Software Repositories
- Software Reliability and Testing
- Automatic Improvement and Empirical Investigation of Software Quality Attributes
- Recommendation Systems in Software Engineering
- Software system behavior
- Software Evolution and Maintenance
- Software Engineering Education
- Agile and lean processes
- Lean startup and software startups
- Dependable IoT, edge and cloud computing
- Software architecture
Some positions are also offered in collaboration with external research and industry partners (FBK, SIAG, CNR/NOI, COVISION). Please indicate in your application if you are interested in these collaboration topics.
For detailed information on the call and application procedures, please look at:
For further questions, contact the coordinator of the 2020/2021 PhD Programme, Prof. Claus Pahl, at email@example.com.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
EURAXESS offer ID: 524436
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.