ORGANISATION/COMPANYConsiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Organic chemistryChemistry › Physical chemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/06/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Bologna
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER860434
The project is funded by the Marie Skłodowska Curie Innovative Training Network “ArtMoMa”, within the Horizon 2020 Programme of the European Commission. The project aims to structure a training network for doctoral students in the field of Artificial Molecular Machines for a period of 48 months. ArtMoMa is a consortium of 20 partners composed of high profile universities, research institutions and companies located in 8 European countries, and will train 15 Early Stage Researchers. It is coordinated by Prof. Nicolas Giuseppone of the CNRS-University of Strasbourg, France. More information about the ArtMoMa consortium and activities can be found in the project website: http://artmoma-h2020.eu
The goal of the ESR is to realise a new class of (supra)molecular motors powered by light, based on photoreactive self-assembling/disassembling modules. The modules will be developed according to functioning and affordable minimalist design strategies pioneered by the CNR team and based on first principles and threaded molecular topologies. Briefly, the modules are molecular pumps in which a non-symmetric photoactive molecular axle is directionally pushed through a macrocycle by the action of light. The macrocycle can either be symmetric (e.g. cucurbituril, pillararene) or non-symmetric (calixarene, cyclodextrin); the latter case is particularly interesting because the larger number of non-equivalent threading/dethreading modes can enable a more accurate control of the energy ratcheting steps at the basis of the motor operation. The core activities of this project are the synthesis of the components and the study of their light-driven pumping behaviour. Efficient pump modules will be used to develop linear and rotary motors based on mechanically interlocked molecules and fueled by light. The operation of the motors will be investigated both in fluid solutions and in polymer matrices. It is envisaged that these systems could enable the conversion of light energy into chemical energy and its storage either in discrete molecular entities or in materials.
References: Nat. Nanotechnol. 2015, 10, 70; Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 58, 14341.
Alberto Credi, CNR Associate Research Director and Professor of Chemistry at the University of Bologna. For enquiries about the position, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: The position is available for 36 months and the key tasks as a PhD student are:
- To manage and carry out through research projects
- To attend and participate in research and training activities within the ArtMoMa network and local courses
- To write articles for scientific peer reviews
- To write a PhD thesis
- To teach and disseminate research in the scientific community (international conferences) and non-scientific community, by outreach and public engagement
- To be involved in departmental and group activities
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: The successful candidate will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for early stage researchers. The generous financial package includes a living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance (if eligible). The candidate will be enrolled in the PhD program in Chemistry at the University of Bologna. The guaranteed PhD funding is for 36 months.
A career development plan will be prepared for each fellow in accordance with his/her supervisor and will include training, planned secondments and outreach activities in partner institutions of the network. The ESR fellows are supposed to complete their PhD thesis by the end of the 3rd year of their employment.
In order to be eligible, each applicant must fulfil the following criteria:
- Nationality: Candidates may be of any nationality.
- Mobility: At the date of recruitment, the applicant must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies etc.) in Italy for more than 12 months in the last 3 years immediately prior to his/her recruitment. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
- Qualifications and research experiences: the applicant must fulfil the requirements defined for Early Stage Researchers (ESRs): ESRs are researchers who at the date of recruitment have NOT yet been awarded the doctoral degree and are in the first 4 years (full time equivalent) of his/ her research career. Full-time research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which formally entitled him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited or seconded, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate is or was ever envisaged.
Applicants should hold MSc degree (or equivalent) with good grades and good English skills. As criteria for the assessment of your qualifications, emphasis will also be laid on relevant work experience and previous publications (if any).
Pre-selection will be based on CV, experience, skills and motivation letter. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed by an experience selection committee.
Applications should consist of the following documents:
- A complete Curriculum Vitae
- A motivation letter (1 page) addressing his/her research interests in relationship to the individual research project.
- 2 references
- University transcripts and other relevant certificates
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELChemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
BACKGROUND OF SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE: We are looking for an outstanding highly motivated candidate with a strong academic record holding a Master degree in Chemistry. An excellent theoretical background, experience in supramolecular chemistry / organic synthesis / polymer chemistry / photochemistry / spectroscopy, and good laboratory skills are prerequisite for this ambitious project. Candidates will be integrated in an international multi-disciplinary team. The candidate must therefore have excellent personal skills and be able to work in a team. The position will be located in Bologna, Italy, including secondments to partner groups. Women are especially encouraged to apply.
FORMAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicants should hold MSc degree (or equivalent) with good grades and good English skills. As criteria for the assessment of your qualifications, emphasis will also be laid on relevant work experience and previous publications (if any).
EURAXESS offer ID: 520203
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.