ORGANISATION/COMPANYKarlsruhe Institute of Technology
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › OtherComputer science › Programming
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/06/2020 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Karlsruhe
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/07/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER861166
Automatic Analysis and Conversion of Graphical Content into Audio-Tactile output
This research project is part of the INTUITIVE-Project (Innovative Network for Training in ToUch InteracTIVE Interfaces) within the framework of the Horizon 2020 - Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks.
The project focuses on "Automatic Analysis and Conversion of Graphical Content into Audio-Tactile output". Therefore, we are looking for an ESR (early stage researcher) with a good knowledge in the fields of image processing and machine learning methods.
The main activity of this work is the investigation of methods for the automatic analysis of selected graphical teaching material (e.g. mathematical graphs, sketches, charts, ...) as well as the conversion of the content into tactile and audio-tactile output for visually impaired users.
Both parts need to be evaluated, especially the tactile / audio-tactile output by user studies.
The Study Centre for the Visually Impaired (SZS) supports and advises visually impaired students and prospective students in all study courses offered at KIT by an interdisciplinary team. The SZS plays an active role in teaching and in research on Assistive Technologies.
The CVHCI research group is part of the Institute of Anthropomatics and Robotics of the KIT and has an excellent and long-standing experience in the field of image processing, machine learning and in the development of multimodal human-computer interfaces as well as excellent laboratory equipment.
Together we develop new assistive technologies for visually impaired.
Since research is a main focus of the project, there is a possibility to complete a PhD.
The applicant is expected to spend approximately 10 weeks abroad at the locations of our project partners during the period of employment.
The job is fixed term for a duration of three years (36 months), starting not earlier than 1 July 2020.
At the time of recruitment (i.e. first date of employment/signature of the contract) applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Have less than 4 years research experience (measured from the time their Master’s or equivalent degree was awarded).
- Not have a doctorate/PhD.
- Be a national of any country other than the country of the premises of the host organization to which they are applying (unless they have legally resided outside that country for at least 3 out of the last 4 years).
- Not have resided in the country of the recruiting host for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date (and not have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in that country) – unless as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention.
The subject of the application email must contain the following information:
"Application for the ESR position "Automatic Analysis and Conversion of Graphical Content into Audio-Tactile output" – MSCA-ITN INTUITIVE Project (Grant agreement no. 861166)”.
The application email must be accompanied by the following documents:
- A standard application letter of no more than 2 pages (written in English) signed by the applicant indicating their full name, date and place of birth, citizenship, postal address, and emaiI address. The letter should clearly indicate the applicant’s motivation for applying for this ESR position and describe their relevant experience. Additionally, the applicant must explicitly declare that they fulfil the eligibility criteria set out in article 3.4 of the H2020 Guide for Applicants Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions - Innovative Training Networks (ITN), see: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/other/guides_fo...
- Contact information (including email addresses) of TWO academic referees.
- A detailed CV (of no more than 3 pages) in English, a list of undergraduate exam results and degrees held; a list of publications; academic prizes or scholarships, etc.; and scientific experience and skills. The document must be signed by the applicant. Template CV: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-....
- Where relevant, a copy of Master’s thesis or equivalent (in pdf format) including a 1 page summary written in English.
- Scanned copies of academic transcripts and degree certificates for the higher education qualifications held.
- Official translation in English and equivalence certificate of the Master’s degree or equivalent will be required at the point of contract signature.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: ExcellentGERMAN: Basic
- A successfully completed degree in computer science, mathematics, or similar (master's or diploma)
- Experience in image processing, pattern recognition, or machine learning methods (especially deep learning methods)
- Experience with deep learning frameworks such as Tensorflow or PyTorch
- Profound programming knowledge (e.g. in Python, C/C++)
- Independent, self-motivated and systematic working style
- Strong analytical skills
- Good team and communication skills
- Good knowledge of English (written and spoken) and and basic knowledge of German
- The applicant should not have resided in Germany for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date (and not have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany.
- The applicant should be -at the date of recruitment- an early stage researcher (i.e. in the first four years of his/her research career and not have a doctoral degree).
EURAXESS offer ID: 516932
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.