ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Strasbourg
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Organic chemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › Strasbourg
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER860434
The University of Strasbourg, is offering a full-time PhD position on the topic “Study of dynamic covalent molecular motors at surfaces and in confined spaces”
The “ArtMoMa” project is funded by the MARIE SKŁODOWSKA CURIE Innovative Training Network of the Horizon 2020 Programme of the European Commission. This 4-year project aims to reach new heights in the emerging field of artificial molecular machines and to train a new generation of visionary researchers capable of conducting high risk, high grain research. In this framework ArtMoMa will structure a training network for doctoral students in the field of Artificial Molecular Machines. The consortium of 20 partners composed of high profile universities, research institutions and companies located in 8 European countries will push the current scientific boundaries further and explore entirely new directions of fundamental research towards technologically relevant implementation by training 15 Early Stage Researchers (ESRs). This will build a continuous stream of leading European scientists who will create further knowledge and innovations in the future, ranging from processes to products to services and resulting in economic growth and leadership in this field.
This PhD position will be based in Strasbourg at ISIS (Institut de Science et d’Ingénierie Supramoléculaires, https://isis.unistra.fr/).
The selected ESR will work on how to couple motors with constitutional dynamic for creating recombining walkers and dynamic covalent networks.
The first part of this this project will envision directionally controlled dynamic covalent motions at patterned surfaces via reversible imine formation. The second part will deal with the combination of dynamic combinatorial chemistry, imine-based motors, and liposome formation.
The ESR will be supervised by Prof. Jean-Marie LEHN, Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1987.
ESR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
The position is available for 36 months and the key tasks as a PhD student are:
- To manage and carry out research projects
- To attend and participate in research and training activities within the ArtMoMa network and local courses
- To write articles for scientific peer reviews
- To write a PhD thesis
- To teach and disseminate research in the scientific community (international conferences) and non-scientific community, by outreach and public engagement
- To be involved in departmental and group activities
Applicants should hold MSc degree (or equivalent) with good grades and good English skills. As criteria for the assessment of your qualifications, emphasis will also be laid on relevant work experience and previous publications (if any).
The successful candidates will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for early stage researchers. The generous financial package includes a living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance (if eligible). The guaranteed PhD funding is for 36 months.
A career development plan will be prepared for each fellow in accordance with his/her supervisor and will include training, planned secondments and outreach activities in partner institutions of the network. The ESR fellows are supposed to complete their PhD thesis by the end of the 3rd year of their employment.
To be eligible, each applicant must fulfill the following criteria:
- Nationality: Candidates may be of any nationality
- Qualification and research experience: The applicant must fulfill the requirements defined for Early Stage Researchers (ESRs): ESRs are researchers who at the date of recruitment have NOT yet been awarded the doctoral degree and are in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent) of his/ her research career. Full-time research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which formally entitled him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited or seconded, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate is or was ever envisaged.
- Mobility: At the date of recruitment, the applicant must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies etc.) in the host country (i.e. France) for more than 12 months in the last 3 years immediately prior to his/her recruitment. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
Pre-selection will be based on CV, experience, skills and motivation letter. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed by an experienced selection committee.
Applications should consist of the following documents:
- A complete Curriculum Vitae
- A motivation letter (1 page) addressing his/her research interests in relationship to the individual research project.
- 2 references
- University transcripts and other relevant certificates
Complete applications and/or enquiries about the position should be sent to the ArtMoMa Coordinator, Prof. Nicolas Giuseppone, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking for an outstanding highly motivated candidate with a strong academic record holding a Master degree in Chemistry. An excellent theoretical as well as practical background in organic chemistry are a prerequisite. Experience in supramolecular chemistry would be an asset.
- Master degree or equivalent in Chemistry
- High proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Networking and communication skills, to be evaluated in the interview.
- Excellent communication as well as organisational skills and are willing to engage an international, interdisciplinary collaborative research, workshops and secondments.
Candidates will be integrated in an international multi-disciplinary team. The candidate must therefore have excellent personal skills and be able to work in a team.
The position will be located in Strasbourg, France, including secondments to partner groups across Europe.
Women are especially encouraged to apply.
EURAXESS offer ID: 516544
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.