ORGANISATION/COMPANYTraDE-OPT: H2020 MSCA-ITN-ETN Project
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceMathematics › AlgorithmsMathematics › Applied mathematicsMathematics › Statistics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/10/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONMultiple locations, see work locations below.
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
REFERENCE NUMBERITN ETN TraDE-OPT
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER861137
The Marie Skłodowska-Curie European Training Network - TraDE-OPT (Training Data Driven Experts in Optimization) invites applications for 15 early-stage researcher (ESR) / PhD positions, available with a starting date in the period September 2020- November 2020. The duration of the appointment is 36 months, full-time employment contract.
The main scientific objective of the TraDE-OPT research program is to develop a theoretical — optimization based — framework to derive and analyze new efficient optimization algorithms for solving data-driven problems, i.e. for the extraction of high-level information and the subsequent identification of optimal decisions. The TraDE-OPT network comprises 8 beneficiaries and 6 partner organisations from both the academic and industrial sectors from 7 European countries (Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Romania, Poland, Belgium).
A list of the 15 PhD positions /ESR projects is presented below. To apply to a specific position/project, click on the title and follow the instructions.
The application & selection process might be proper to each organisation, please visit our website and write an email to Silvia Villa and Modiana Pasquinelli verify the application procedure and deadlines for the position you are interested in. The positions will be open until filled.
NOTE: Application dates and start dates vary. Please check individual ESR projects for details as well as for specific / local acceptance requirements.
- ESR1: Fast iterative regularization through dynamical systems (Università di Genova (Italy), Supervisors: Prof. S. Villa and Prof. L. Rosasco)
- ESR2: Exploiting geometry in optimization for data science (Università di Genova (Italy), Supervisors: Prof. S. Villa and Prof. L. Rosasco)
- ESR3: Efficient convex relaxations of non-convex problems arising in signal processing and computer vision (CentraleSupélec (France), Supervisors: Prof. J.-C. Pesquet and Prof. Emilie Chouzenoux)
- ESR4: Accelerated unfolded MM approaches (CentraleSupélec (France), Supervisors: Prof. J.-C. Pesquet and Prof. Emilie Chouzenoux)
- ESR5: Incremental methods for huge scale image reconstruction (Technische Universität Braunschweig (Germany), Supervisor: Prof. D. Lorenz)
- ESR6: Flexible hierarchical splitting of convex optimization problems (Technische Universität Braunschweig (Germany), Supervisor: Prof. D. Lorenz)
- ESR7: Non-stationary preconditioning and multiscale approaches for variational imaging (Universität Graz (Austria), Supervisor: Prof. K. Bredies)
- ESR8: Regularized algebraic reconstruction techniques (Universität Graz (Austria), Supervisor: Prof. K. Bredies)
- ESR9: Scalable optimization algorithms for huge-scale optimization problems (Universitatea Politehnica din Buchuresti (Romania), Supervisor: Prof. I. Necoara)
- ESR10: Significant advances in the state of the art of decision-making for complex network systems (Universitatea Politehnica din Buchuresti (Romania), Supervisor: Prof. I. Necoara)
- ESR11: Global optimization tools for big data problems (Instytut Badań Systemowych PAN (Poland), Supervisor: Prof. E. Bednarczuk)
- ESR12: Projection methods in convex splitting algorithms for huge data problems (Instytut Badań Systemowych PAN (Poland), Supervisor: Prof. E. Bednarczuk)
- ESR13: Performance estimation and design of optimal optimization methods in data science (Université catholique de Louvain (Belgium), Supervisor: Prof. F. Glineur)
- ESR14: Automated method selection and tuning for optimization problems in data science (Université catholique de Louvain (Belgium), Supervisor: Prof. F. Glineur)
- ESR15: Unsupervised features learning from multivariate time series (Università di Genova and CAMELOT, Supervisors: Dr. Phil. C. Basso and Prof. S. Villa)
The benefits of being a PhD student in a European Training Network include:
- You will be supervised by excellent group leaders from academia and industry – they are all outstanding in their research, business, and trainings.
- You will be part of the network research effort focused on data science oriented modern optimization, exploitation of data structure, decomposition and parallelization strategies, randomized and incremental strategies and hosted by excellent research institution
- You will get the chance to participate in specially developed courses (e.g. on specific topics, academic soft skills, etc.)
- You can start building your personal and professional network at a very early stage in your career due to the embedding of our PhD projects in an academic / industrial network and to the dissemination of your research results (conferences, schools, workshops, journal papers);
- You will be exposed to industry and the challenges in industry already during the PhD, because we also have partners from industry in our network (who also contribute to the training).
- You will get the opportunity to spend some time in the labs of other partners (thereby you will get familiar with other disciplines, techniques, cultures etc.)
- You will get a very attractive salary plus an allowances package in accordance with the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) rules and the personal circumstances of the applicant. The exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment and is dependent on the Country correction factor (to allow for the difference in cost of living in different EU Member States). For further information please visit the EU MSCA website.
• ESR must – at the date of recruitment – have obtained the MSc degree entitling him to start a PhD Program
• ESR must – at the date of recruitment – be within the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience ) of his research career and not have a doctoral degree
• Mobility rule: ESR must not have resided or carried out her/his main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organisation he is applying for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date
• Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account
Please check the the full description of eligibility criteria in the Information Note for ITN Fellows.
Details on the application procedure for each ESR position are provided on our website: https://trade-opt-itn.eu
Applications should include:
- Motivation Letter (describing research career goals, skills, experience, and highlighting the consistency between the candidate’s profile and the chosen ESR position)
- A complete Curriculum Vitae with references to past research and training experiences
- Copies of Bachelor and Master’s certificates/diploma & transcripts
- Contacts of two Reference people
- Publications (if available).
Applications should be submitted in English, as a single PDF, quoting the project name and the ESR position ‘TraDE-OPT - ESR X’.
NOTE: Please select well the most appropriate position for which you would like to apply and do not send your application to more than 2 positions.
In your Motivation Letter indicate if you are interested in being considered for any of the other PhD positions in our network (and if you give us permission to share your application with the host of that project). In this way we can ensure a more efficient handling of your application.
TraDE-OPT recruitment and employment strategy is based on an equal opportunities policy and in full compliance with the principle of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. We value diversity, and do not discriminate based on gender, religion, marital status, age, or cultural background.
TraDE-OPT seeks to increase the number of women in those scientific areas where they are under-represented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELOther: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
We seek outstanding, highly motivated candidates interested in developing their PhD in the area of data science oriented modern optimization - theory and solution methods. Requirements and eligibility criteria:
- Strong mathematical skills (computational skills are an advantage);
- MSc degree (at the moment of acceptance, not necessarily at submission);
- To be in the first four years of your research career ;
Please make sure you comply with the eligibility criteria before applying.
You can read the full description of eligibility criteria in the Information Note for ITN Fellows.
EURAXESS offer ID: 516136
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.