ORGANISATION/COMPANYCentre de Recherche de l'Institut Paul Bocuse
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › BiologyMedical sciencesPsychological sciences › Psychology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/04/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › Ecully, Lyon
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2020
CONTEXT AND OBJECTIVES
In the context of cancer patients’ malnutrition, enhancing food liking and eating pleasure is a crucial and a well-known way to contribute to patients’ quality of life. Previous research results showed that chemotherapy-induced olfactory and gustatory modifications influence food behavior of cancer patients. However, food perception is a multi-sensory phenomenon that also involves the sense of somesthesia (touch). Somesthesia includes various sensations: tact (perception of roughness), mechanics (perception of consistency, firmness), temperature and the trigeminal system (irritating or pungent sensations). These kinesthetic sensory characteristics constitute food somesthetic properties. Evidence showed that chemotherapy induced side effects includes mouth dryness and mouth sores, which could further impact cancer patients’ food choices and preferences. Somesthesia is linked with food texture, yet the importance of it in relation to the overall food perception remains unexplored in cancer patients.
It is hypothesized that modifying the food physical properties would improve the appreciation and intake of foods that could help cancer patients who encounter somesthesia related side effects. The overall objective of this PhD project is to explore the role of somesthesia in the food liking and its cross-link with taste and smell perception in cancer patients.
The PhD candidate is expected to:
- Review the existing literature on cancer patients’ somesthesic sensitivity in relation to the physical properties of food and beverages.
- Learn standard self-reported and instrumental methodologies including running questionnaires, interviews and focus groups, and psychophysical sensory tests.
- Formulate original research hypotheses and contribute to the design of the experiments and to the ethical file.
- Conduct /coordinate the clinical intervention studies. Conduct the statistical analyses.
- Write scientific papers targeting top ranked international journals.
- Attend congresses, workshops, meetings, media events in order to disseminate research results.
- Work on the compensation of the alterations observed in patients and formulate recommendations about personalised healthcare and support tools for patients.
- For France: Dr. Agnès Giboreau, Head of Research Center, Institut Paul Bocuse / University Lyon 1 (P2S), Lyon, France.
- For Denmark: Prof. Wender Bredie, Head of Section for Food Design and Consumer Behaviour, Department of Food Science.
Funding category: Cifre
Salary: PhD position 25k€ gross/year (based on French ANRT recommendations for CIFRE), expenses covered for secondment in Denmark
PHD title: Doctorat en sciences des aliments / sciences de la santé
PHD Country: France
PROFILE AND ELIGIBILITY
The candidates must have obtained a Master’s level degree in Food science, Clinical nutrition, Sensory sciences or related fields in food behavior or medical science. A strong interest in the field of cancerology would be appreciated.
Additional skills are required, such as:
- Strong skills in statistics
- Interest in both theoretical and empirical questions
- Excellent communication skills
- Real interest for translating scientific results and methodologies into deliverables directly exploitable in the clinical field
- International mobility
- Advanced level in both oral and written English
- Knowledge of French would be appreciated
- October 2020 - September 2023: 36-month PhD position at University Lyon 1/University of Copenhagen/Institut Paul Bocuse Research Center
- Salary: PhD position 25k€ gross/year (based on French ANRT recommendations for CIFRE)
- Expenses covered for secondment in Denmark
EURAXESS offer ID: 510278
Posting organisation offer ID: 91138
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.