ORGANISATION/COMPANYEuropean Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF)
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Computer architecture
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)First Stage Researcher (R1)Leading Researcher (R4)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/04/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONUnited Kingdom › Reading
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
ECMWF is looking to establish an "Innovation Platform” aiming to foster a systematic change in the way the organisation embraces and increases the pace of innovation. This will be achieved by supporting and complementing the existing expertise across ECMWF, by offering an environment to facilitate collaborations and knowledge sharing and by providing the necessary infrastructure to
experiment with new ideas.
In this context, ECMWF is looking for a Scientific Python Developer/Engineer to help design and implement new facilities to establish the Innovation Platform.
The successful candidate will work with various teams across the organisation to initially setup a
JupyterHub service that will provide internal users with a complete stack of Python scientific libraries,
as well as efficient access to ECMWF data holdings that includes a data archive with more than 260
petabytes of primary data. This service will be used to explore data analytics and machine learning
algorithms to analyse ECMWF data.
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Deploying and maintaining a JupyterHub installation that will be used by researchers from ECMWF and its Member States and Cooperating States, supporting all the standard Python scientific libraries, and providing access to ECMWF’s data
- Supporting researchers when they are starting to use the platform and introduce the software
framework and guidance on tools and methods that can be exploited
- Assembling a list of reference datasets in support of Machine Learning activities and acting as a custodian for these datasets
- Providing and maintaining all necessary documentation to ensure the efficient use of this facility
- Assisting in other activities related to the Innovation Platform
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, and a proactive approach
- Positive attitude towards working in an international environment
- Flexibility, with the ability to adapt to changing priorities and user needs
- Dedication and enthusiasm to work independently and as part of a small team
- Eagerness to work in a collaborative environment for shared ownership
- Positive creative attitude and interest in innovation
Qualifications and experience required
- A university degree, or equivalent experience, in computer science or a related discipline.
Experience Very good programming experience in Python for the development of scientific applications, in particular knowledge of the NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib and SciPy libraries.
- Experience with using Python for data analytics, in particular packages such as XArray and Dask, as well as map plotting packages, would also be advantageous.
- Experience with using and publishing Jupyter Notebooks.
- Experience with Docker/Kubernetes and Cloud computing, as well as using Machine Learning software such as TensorFlow, PyTorch or SciKit-learn would be a distinct advantage.
Knowledge and skills (including language)
- General knowledge about data analytics and machine learning concepts.
- Good knowledge of code versioning is essential.
- Candidates must be able to work effectively in English and interviews will be conducted in English.
- Good knowledge of one of the Centre’s other working languages (French or German) would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will be recruited at the A2 grade, according to the scales of the
Co-ordinated Organisations and the annual basic salary will be £60,590.64 net of tax. This position is assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at
www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and
conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years, with the possibility of a further contract.
Location: The position will be based in the Reading area, in Berkshire, United Kingdom. Successful
applicants and members of their family forming part of their households will be exempt from
EURAXESS offer ID: 508192
Posting organisation offer ID: 11410
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.