ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Twente (UT)
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/07/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Enschede
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
The research project
A multidisciplinary team from the University of Twente together with several universities and companies, is working together in the PrimaVera project. Within this project, new monitoring systems and data algorithms will be developed to better predict disruptions to infrastructure and production resources and thus to better plan maintenance.
The vision of PrimaVera is to make deployment of predictive maintenance easier and more effective. By using a holistic approach to the maintenance workflow, the team will develop accurate, scalable, and real-time health diagnostics and prognostics and turn these into effective maintenance strategies that can operate in complex and uncertain environments.
The ultimate goal of the program is to achieve in 2025 intelligent assets, connected through the Internet of Things, continuously collecting data on their condition, loading and environment, that autonomously decide whether and when they need a specific type of maintenance. This means e.g., no more train delays, power outages, or failure of production machines.
A team of researchers and PhD students at the University of Twente will be working on this project in the next 5 years. There is a PhD vacancy available within the department of Computer Science at the Pervasive Systems Research group. We are seeking candidates for a full time 4-year PhD project on the topic of “Augmented Reality assisted wireless monitoring and analytics for structural health”.
In this PhD project research will be performed on methods for real-time condition monitoring, where a combination of remote sensing (using cameras or mm wave radio) and on-situ sensors collect data about the state of an asset, and perform in real-time data analytics to identify possible (future) failures in assets. Augmented Reality (AR) will be used by the inspectors to visualize defects and statistics about technical condition, usage, environment, maintenance history, and anything that may correlate with the performance of the asset. With the next generations of wireless networking, like 5G, AR applications would be able to offload much of the intensive processing to the cloud, enabling AR applications to be more effective and more energy efficient. The synergy between AR and 5G will also expand the potential for remote control drone and robot operation through enhanced smart displays. This PhD project will take a holistic approach in which signal processing, sensor data analytics, edge computing, and wireless networking are intertwined.
- We offer a four-year fulltime PhD position;
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment with excellent facilities;
- You are offered a professional and personal development program within the Twente Graduate School;
- A starting salary of € 2.395 gross per month in the first year and a salary of € 3.061 in the fourth year gross per month;
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%, minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of fulltime employment and a solid pension scheme;
- A training program in which you and your supervisor will make up a plan for additional suitable education and supervision;
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff.
Web site for additional job details
- You are a MSc-level graduate in computer science with a technical background and interest in embedded systems, wireless networks, data analytics, augmented reality, or related fields.
- You have good communication skills and you have a strong interest in operating at the crossroads of different disciplines
- You have an excellent command of English (C1; above IELTS 7 or equivalent)
- You have experience in data analysis and/or machine learning
- You are able to do independent research and have publication skills
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
As a PhD candidate you will be enrolled in the Twente Graduate School (TGS). Your work location is Enschede, but you can spend a part of your time at consortium partners.
Additional information about this position can be obtained from prof. dr. Paul Havinga: email@example.com, Pervasive Systems Research group, Department of Computer Science, University of Twente
Please submit your application before July 1, 2020 via the 'Apply now' button and include:
- A cover letter (maximum 2 page A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications, motivations to apply for this position;
- A full Curriculum Vitae, including a list of all courses attended and grades obtained, references and, if applicable, a list of publications.
- A short description (maximum 1 page A4) of your MSc research.
An assessment may be part of the selection procedure.
EURAXESS offer ID: 507812
Posting organisation offer ID: 290846
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.