ORGANISATION/COMPANYUNIVERSITE TOULOUSE 2 JEAN JAURES
RESEARCH FIELDHistory › Ancient historyHistory › History of religions
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE20/04/2020 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › TOULOUSE
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The postdoc will exploit the epithets attributed to the gods in at least of the following languages: Punic and Neopunic, imperial Aramaic (Persian and Hellenistic periods), Nabataean. He/she will take part in one of the two areas covered by the project: the Greek world (2 postdocs) and the Western Semitic world (2 postdocs, including the one recruited via this call), embracing a longue durée perspective from 1000 BCE to 400 CE. Applicants are expected to list cult epithets from epigraphic and papyrological sources, to enter them in a database, to investigate them with the support of statistics, network analysis and cartography, and to analyze them according to their context as the most efficient indicator of the divine multiple powers and modes of action, as well as their connection to places where humans interact with gods . The comparative approach between the Greek world and the Western Semitic world will allow a reappraisal of concepts such as transfer, translation, and adaptation connected to onomastic attributes of the gods, and their translation into images and narratives.
Applicants should hold a PhD in the field of Ancient History, Classics or equivalent.
In-depth training and research experience (PhD, post-doc) in the field of History of Religions in Antiquity and/or History of Antiquity; applicants should have received their PhD within the last five years;
Excellent knowledge of one or several of the following languages: Punic, Neopunic, imperial Aramaic (Persian and Hellenistic periods), Nabataean; the mastering of classical languages (Greek and/or Latin) would be appreciated;
Familiarity with Semitic epigraphical or papyrological corpora
Complete application with all the required documents
Applicants are requested to submit
- Curriculum Vitae (Education, experience in research, Publications, Projects; 5-6 pages max.);
- Motivation letter (1 p.);
- List of corpora of inscriptions that the candidate will register;
- PDF of the PhD dissertation and of the final report of the Commission.
A first selection will be done within the end of April and interviews via skype will take place during the first week of May.
The result will be communicated immediately after.
Working time will be divided between the feeding of the database (approx. 50%) and qualitative studies on one or several specific geographic areas and/or thematic issues (approx. 50%).
The postdoc will work under the direction of the Principal Investigator of the MAP project, namely Corinne Bonnet. He/she will work with the whole team. He/she must reside in Toulouse permanently during his contract.
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDHistory › Other
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED LANGUAGESFRENCH: GoodENGLISH: Good
- in-depth training and research experience (PhD, post-doc) in the field of History of Religions in Antiquity and/or History of Antiquity; applicants should have received their PhD within the last five years;
- excellent knowledge of one or several of the following languages: Punic, Neopunic, imperial Aramaic (Persian and Hellenistic periods), Nabataean; the mastering of classical languages (Greek and/or Latin) would be appreciated;
- familiarity with Semitic epigraphical or papyrological corpora;
- skills in the field of multiculturalism or comparatism between Semitic and Greek worlds would be an additional asset;
- good knowledge of databases;
- knowledge of tools deriving from network analysis and cartography would be an additional asset;
- advanced teamwork skills.
- very good command of French and English ;
EURAXESS offer ID: 506521
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.