RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Civil engineeringEngineering › Design engineeringEngineering › Systems engineeringPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE17/04/2020 21:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Jülich
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
As a member of the Helmholtz Association, Forschungszentrum Jülich makes an effective contribution to solving major challenges facing society in the fields of information, energy, and bioeconomy. It focuses on varied tasks in the area of research management and utilizes large, often unique, scientific infrastructure. Come and work with around 6,100 colleagues across a range of topics and disciplines at one of Europe’s largest research centres.
The subinstitute “Civil Security Research“ (IAS-7) of the Institute for Advanced Simulation investigates pedestrian and fire dynamics. Besides the design of experiments, the main focus lies on the development of new numerical methods. Research and teaching are carried out in close cooperation with the University of Wuppertal.
The evaluation of life safety in large building infrastructures, such as airports and underground railway stations, or during large-scale events is growingly turned into a modelling objective. With the increasing computing power and methodological advances realistic simulations of fire and pedestrian dynamics are becoming feasible. The position is planned to cover simulation activities within both fields with software like FDS and the Jülich Pedestrian Simulator (JuPedSim). The choice of the research topic will be jointly laid out and covers the modelling of the flame spread on the fire dynamics side and the modelling of person movement in railway stations as a pedestrian dynamics topic.
We are looking to recruit a
Postdoc or PhD position – Pedestrian and Fire Dynamics Modelling
- Design and setup of numerical simulations with FDS and JuPedSim
- Contribution to the development of inhouse software related to fire and pedestrian dynamics, utilisation of HPC facilities, and data analysis
- Validation of simulation models with experimental data
- Exchange with national and international project partners
- Preparing scientific publications and mentoring of students
- Master degree in engineering or science / PhD in engineering or science
- Strong cooperation and communication skills as well as the ability to work in with an international and interdisciplinary team
- Interest in complex issues and fundamental research
- Knowledge of numerical methods and quantitative evaluation methods
- Interest in the conception and application of scientific software
- Programming skills (preferably Python / C++)
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Continuous support to develop a scientific profile
- If applicable, a doctoral degree conferred by a cooperating university
- A position initially limited to 3 years with the prospect of a permanent position
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD), pay group 13 (75% [PhD] / 100% [PostDoc])
- Exciting working environment on an attractive research campus with excellent infrastructure, located between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- International and interdisciplinary working atmosphere
- A comprehensive further training programme
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hoursForschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application until 05.04.2020 via our Online-Recruitment-System!
Questions about the vacancy?
Contact us by mentioning the reference number 2020-074: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.
EURAXESS offer ID: 505377
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.