ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute for Biological Control, Julius Kühn-Institut (JKI), Federal Research Centre for Cultivated Plants
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/04/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Darmstadt
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/05/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER859850
Does it appeal to you to work with large sequencing data to detect pathogens? Are you interested in the detection and dispersion of such pathogens in host populations? Do you want to participate in an innovative European training network to assist the upcoming industry of insect mass rearing? Then we are looking for you to participate in the upcoming INSECT DOCTORS (www.insectdoctors.eu) project (Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions- International Training Networks, MSCA-ITN).
Outbreaks of infectious diseases in insect mass rearing are a challenge to the rapidly growing industry of insect mass production of insects in Europe. Insect pathogens, such as viruses, fungi, bacteria and microsporidia, are almost omnipresent and threaten the economic production of reared insects by disease outbreaks triggered by factors that are not entirely understood.
The aim of this project is the development of robust, reliable and easy to use diagnostic tools for pathogen detection based on next generation sequencing techniques.
In addition to short-read sequencing, nanopore technology is also to be integrated into the process in order to identify insect pathogens using bioinformatic analysis. For the targeted identification of important and significant viruses, fungi, bacteria and microsporidia, genetic markers should be used which are best suited for the respective group of insect pathogens. The method is to be established on the basis of one or two insect species.
The PhD position you are applying for is part of a large Double Degree Programme called INSECT DOCTORS, funded by the European Commission. The overall aim of the INSECT DOCTORS’ training programme is to educate a new generation of scientist that have in-depth knowledge on insect pathogens, as well as the skills to assist the upcoming industry of insect mass rearing to prevent disease outbreaks in their insect cultures.
In total, 15 PhD positions are available in this programme, and each PhD candidate will be enrolled at two universities in different European countries. Each PhD candidate will have his/her own research project involving stays in at least two countries. Several novel PhD courses will be offered to all PhD candidates of INSECT DOCTORS.
Start of the project is scheduled for April/May 2020.
- An enrolment as Early Stage Researcher (ESR) according to the rules of the MSCA-ITN for 3 years at the Institute for Biological Control, Julius Kühn Institute, Federal Research Centre for Cultivated Plants, in Darmstadt, Germany. During your three years research activity, you will spend 12 months at the University of Valencia in Spain.
- A double degree PhD programme involving Technical University Darmstadt and University of Valencia.
- As a PhD candidate, you will participate in the INSECT DOCTORS training program.
Remuneration is in line with EC rules for Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN projects: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/wp/2018-2020/ma....
Please send your application stating the project number (INSECT DOCTORS ERS10 PhD candidate) to firstname.lastname@example.org (single PDF file, max 10 MB, other file formats will not be considered).
- Cover Letter, detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project (max. 2 pages)
- Your CV
- Your full contact details
- Copies of relevant certificates
- Proof of sufficient English language test results or proof of MSc education in English.
- Please indicate in your application whether you have also applied or intend to apply for other PhD positions in the INSECT DOCTORS programme
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- A master degree in a relevant field (Biology, Bioinformatic, Molecular Life Sciences, Biotechnology). We especially invite candidates with practical experience in Bioinformatics to respond;
- Proven experience in the field of whole genome sequencing;
- Experience in analysing and dealing with large bioinformatic data;
- Expertise in programming languages (Phyton, R or others);
- A proven ability to organize and conduct laboratory experiments;
- Eagerness to participate in the INSECT DOCTORS project (MSCA-ITN) training programme and willingness to work and carry out research in Germany and in Spain;
- Ability to work in an international research team in a collaborative spirit;
- Proficiency in the English language (both written and spoken).
Eligibility based on the rules set by the European Committee (https://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/sites/mariecurie2/files/msca-itn-fellows-note_en_v2.pdf).
EURAXESS offer ID: 502634
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.