RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/03/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Leiden
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
The Netherlands Institute for the Near East (NINO) is pleased to offer a postdoctoral fellowship for a fixed period of two-year, hosted at Leiden University. The fellowship is aimed at candidates of any nationality who completed their doctorate (PhD) within the last four years and who have proven their potential to conduct and publish research at an international level. Applications are invited from all relevant fields within NINO’s focus areas, including the archaeology, history, languages, and cultures of Egypt, the Levant, Anatolia, Mesopotamia, and Persia from the Neolithic to c. 600 CE. The fellowship comes with full-time employment at the Faculty of Humanities at Leiden University and with access to facilities at NINO (private office space, computer, libraries and collections). The fellow is expected to reside in or near Leiden during the appointment and to participate in the intellectual life of the Institute. All applicants are expected to seek additional affiliation to relevant researchers or research groups in the Netherlands (Leiden or elsewhere).
- Conduct original research on a topic relating to the ancient Near East; the planned research should result in a major publication or another significant contribution to the field;
- Design and teach a graduate course on ‘Methods and Concepts in Ancient Near Eastern Studies’, which is offered at a national level to advanced students from a wide range of disciplinary backgrounds;
- Convene an international academic conference on a topic relevant to the candidate’s own research, taking into consideration the research interests represented at the NINO and/or other institutes and universities in The Netherlands. A conference budget of € 12,000 is available. The proceedings of this conference will be published (after peer-review) in one of NINO’s book series;
- Disseminate research results to (non-)academic parties through appropriate channels.
We offer a fixed-term position from September 2020 through August 2022. The salary range for a postdoctoral researcher is from € 3.637,- to € 4.978,- gross per month (pay scale 11 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). Depending on qualifications, the researcher may start at the appropriate step in scale 10 until s/he fully meets the requirements for scale 11 as specified by the Faculty of Humanities, particularly with regard to the number of years of relevant work experience.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses(8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More information can be found at our website.
Leiden University is strongly committeed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Please submit online your application no later than 31 March 2020 via the blue button in our application system. Applicants should submit online the items listed below included in this order in a single PDF document named 'FAMILY NAME - Given name - vacancy number’:
- CV including education, employment history and publications;
- Letter of motivation;
- Research proposal (c. 1000 words);
- Conference proposal including an abstract, a list of envisaged speakers, and a budget table explaining the expenditure of max. 12.000 euros (c. 750 words);
- One sample publication or other piece of written work;
- Names, positions and email addresses of two referees (no reference letters).
Interviews are planned for week 17 or 18.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.
Enquiries can be made to the chair of the search committee, Willemijn Waal, email email@example.com.
Web site for additional job details
- A PhD degree in a relevant field of study, completed between January 2016 and February 2020;
- A research and publication record that is commensurate with career stage;
- Commitment to high-quality research, publication, and dissemination;
- Excellent communication and organization skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
EURAXESS offer ID: 497837
Posting organisation offer ID: 290057
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.