ORGANISATION/COMPANYICFO- Institut de Ciències Fotòniques
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/03/2020 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Castelldefels
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER860553
ICFO is offering a PhD-fellowship Marie Curie Early-Stage Researcher positions for ITN project “Study of carrier transport in MAterials by time-Resolved specTroscopy with ultrashort soft X-ray light’ — ‘SMART-X’” to well-qualified graduate students, who wish to obtain a doctoral degree in any of the research topics covered at ICFO.
Our PhD-program brings together top-level training and teaching for young scientists, benefiting from the extensive course offerings of local universities and focused instruction by ICFO professors, in a stimulating, international and interdisciplinary environment. PhD-students have the opportunity to take advantage of our network of excellence, consisting in partners of national and international research institutes and universities, as well as industrial partners in the field. The project will offer opportunities for short-middle stays in other laboratories of the consortium, expanding the interdisciplinary training of the young researcher.
Our International PhD Fellowship Program welcomes applications from individuals with a degree in a field of science and engineering related to the ICFO research activities.
The fellowship is offered in the scope of Marie Curie Early-Stage Researcher positions for ITN project “Study of carrier transport in MAterials by time-Resolved specTroscopy with ultrashort soft X-ray light’ — ‘SMART-X’”.
Transient X-ray spectroscopy of TMDCs and organic semiconductors
The successful candidate will work in the Attoscience And Ultrafast Optics research group, led by Prof. Dr. Jens Biegert. The project deals with the application of attosecond soft X-ray pulses in the water window spectral range for NEXAFS of transition metal dichalcogenides and organic semiconductors. In particular, we will conduct atto- to femtosecond time-resolved experiments in which we generate a non-equilibrium condition with an ultrashort optical laser pulse and we probe the material’s response through K and L transitions with soft X-ray attosecond pulses. We will investigate the role of 3d electrons in TMDCs and excitonic dynamics in organic semiconductors.
Please, browse our website for details about Attoscience And Ultrafast Optics research group and Prof. Dr. Jens Biegert at https://www.icfo.eu/lang/research/groups/groups-details?group_id=25. If you are interested in discussing possible research topics, please contact ICFO Group Leader directly.
Important: During your application, you will be requested to indicate the research group(s) you are interested in accomplishing your PhD with. Please also indicate your interest in this particular position.
ICFO PhD Fellowships are offered for a period of 4.5 years. The conditions of the positions awarded in the scope of the ICFO International PhD fellowship program are as follows:
- Initial contract for a period of 6 months (referred to as the “initial training period”), while being pre-admitted to the PhD program, with an explicit follow-up/ renewal procedure at the end of this first stage. During this period, students already take part in the ICFO working environment, join a research group, and work with their supervisor to define a research project.
- After this initial training period, students are formally enrolled in a PhD Program with a local university (as a general rule, the UPC PhD in Photonics program administered by ICFO), and the full PhD Fellowship activated. Fellowships are offered for periods of three years, renewable for an additional fourth year, and are formalized via a PhD-contract. Continuity and renewal are subject to satisfactory performance in the PhD studies and related research activities, evaluated annually by the Thesis Director and the ICFO PhD Committee.
- Selected candidates shall start ideally between July and September 2020.
- All ICFO fellowships include medical care coverage and work accident insurance through the Spanish Social Security system, providing access to the Spanish public health care system.
- As part of the fellowship, ICFO will provide budget as deemed necessary to enable the PhD fellow to complete his/her assigned research project. This will include consumables and other materials, training and other related costs, such as registration fees, travel and subsistence costs for participation in national or international events, conference, meetings, schools, and/or other training activities
- ITN Fellows receive the salary stipulated by the European Commission (EC) (including living and mobility allowance) and subject to the stipulated fiscal and social security deductions for 3 years PhD contract. The salary for initial training period of 6-months and the fourth year is stipulated by ICFO.
To be eligible for an ICFO PhD position, candidates must:
- Have an internationally-recognized Master-equivalent degree preferably in experimental physics, nanophotonics, optical engineering or related areas. Positively valued will be experience in optical design & instrumentation, nanophotonics, clean-room nanofabrication technology, single molecule biophysics and/or computer programming. The degree must be completed by the start of your prospective PhD at ICFO, at the latest, and must be in a field of science and engineering related to the ICFO research activities. Degrees issued within the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) must have an equivalent to 300 ECTS, out of which a minimum of 60 ECTS must have been obtained in postgraduate studies. Please, if in doubt regarding your academic eligibility, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Have an excellent academic record, previous research experience and a strong commitment for scientific research.
- Have a high working knowledge of English.
Additionally, candidates for the ITN position must comply with the following EU-rules by the time of activation of the COFUND-PhD:
- Candidates should not have resided in Spain form more than 12 of the last 36 months.
- The Master-equivalent degree should not be older than 4 years. Exceptions are made for documented periods of parental leave. Other equivalent exceptions may be considered when properly documented and motivated by the applicant, e.g. in case of applicants from underdeveloped countries, minorities, or for applicants that pursued their studies under comparatively unfavorable conditions.
ICFO is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are selected exclusively on merit and potential on the basis of submitted application material. No restrictions of persons with disabilities, citizenship or gender apply to ICFO positions. ICFO abides by the principles of openness, efficiency, transparency, supportiveness, and international comparability as stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the European Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
Note that candidates are requested to apply in the PhD Spring Call 2020 published in our Job Openings site: http://jobs.icfo.eu/?detail=474
To apply, suitable candidates are requested to submit (in English) online the following material:
- A Cover Letter with declaration of research interests, as well as specific indication of ICFO research group of interest,
- A Curriculum Vitae, including contact details,
- Scanned copies of the complete (Bachelor and Master equivalent) official academic transcripts in English or Spanish,
- Scanned copies of the degree certificates, if available at the time of application,
- If available, scanned copy of standardized test results (GRE, TOEFL, etc.). Note that submission of test results is optional, but they can be particularly helpful for evaluating candidates with degrees obtained outside the European Higher Education Area.
- The names and contact details of 2 referees. IMPORTANT: These referees will be automatically contacted by ICFO requesting them to complete a standardized evaluation form and submit a letter of support for the candidates one week of the application deadline. When they do so, the applicant will receive an email confirming that the corresponding reference letter has been submitted.
All required application material, including letters of reference, must be complete and submitted by deadline in order for the application to be considered.
The deadline for submission of applications for the present call is March 1, 2020 and the deadline for referees to submit the reference letters is March 4, 2020.
In a first step of the selection procedure, applications will be assessed by the selection committee based on merit and potential, measured in terms of the academic record and personal achievements. Academic excellence is a must. Pro-activity, participation in community activities, and capacity for team-work are also taken into account.
Applicants will be notified the results of the first evaluation stage by the beginning of March 2020.
In the second step of the selection procedure, shortlisted candidates will receive invitations to visit ICFO for personal interviews with the selection committee and ICFO Group/Team Leaders, planned to take place by the end of April 2020.
Note: If you are from a country with visa-obligations for Spain, please be advised to already inquire (only inquire) regarding the documentation necessary (usually inviting letter ICFO, plus travel and accommodation bookings) and the potential appointment-situation at the local Spanish Embassy/ visa-office.
The final list with candidates recommended for fellowship concession, as well as reserve candidates, will be available by the beginning of May, 2020. Being the last condition that shortlisted candidates find a hosting group at ICFO, candidates are then asked to contact the Group Leader(s) of choice to negotiate directly a potential PhD in their group, on a fellowship. Candidates and Group Leader should confirm within one week whether an agreement has been reached. Candidates without a match cannot be confirmed the fellowship.
A dedicated, external and independent Appeals Panel will be established to rule on the outcome of appeals from the applicants.
At all stages of the process, candidates may contact ICFO Human Resources and Education via email@example.com; for complete information about the PhD Admissions process at ICFO, please see http://phd.icfo.eu
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
EURAXESS offer ID: 496069
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.