ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science › Earth science
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/02/2020 15:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPoland › Sopot
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2020
The main goal of the project is to determine diffusion coefficient of identified DOM fraction from sediments pore waters into near bottom water, and to relate its magnitude to oceanographic conditions: (salinity, dissolved oxygen concentration, DO, pH and sediment type). The working hypothesis of this project is that, the DOM optical properties are correlated with dissolved iron concentration in sediments pore waters and overlying waters. Project goal will be achieved through qualitative and quantitative characterization of the dissolved organic matter – DOM in the Baltic Sea deep’s bottom sediments pore waters and overlaying near bottom water and water column in different oceanographic conditions with use of absorption and fluorescence spectroscopy and High Performance Size-Exclusion Chromatography and established correlation between optical characteristics of DOM and concentration of dissolved iron and dissolved organic carbon. Spectroscopic analysis will include measurements of light absorption by chromophoric dissolved organic matter - CDOM, and measurements of DOM fluorescence excitation emission matrix spectra – EEMs. Chromatographic analysis will enable separation of different molecular weight fractions of DOM, and after fractionation spectroscopic analysis will be applied to characterize material grouped into molecular weight classes. Data achieved from spectroscopic, chromatographic and environmental and laboratory measurements will be analyzed statistically, to identify which molecular weight and qualitative DOM fractions were most susceptible to migrate and in which direction across sediments/near bottom water interface. Comparison of DOM composition, based on optical and chromatographic signatures, in collected samples will enable understanding of DOM transformation processes during its early diagenesis. This project will be executed through the field and laboratory work campaigns undertaken by team of experienced researchers during research cruises on board of r/v Oceania to Bornholm Deep, Gdansk Deep and Gotland Deep in the Baltic Sea.
- Application for employment.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Copy of the PhD diploma.
- List of scientific achievements.
- List of publications.
- Completed personal questionnaire.
- Declaration of familiarization with the service on the processing of personal data.
Please include signed document with the following consent clause:
(place and date)
Applicant's name and surname
DECLARATION ON BEING INFORMED ABOUT THE PROCESSING OF PERSONAL DATA
I hereby declare that I have read the following information on processing of my personal data in the recruitment process, provided by the Institute of Oceanology Polish Institute of Science in accordance with Article 13 RODO.
signature of the declarant
Pursuant to Article 13 of General Data Protection Regulation, hereinafter referred to as “RODO”, the Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences hereby informs:
- the Institute is the controller of the personal data of a person participating in the recruitment process,
- contact details of the controller: registered office at Powstancow Warszawy 55 str.,81-712 Sopot,(+48 58) 73 11 600, fax:(+48 58) 551 21 30;e-mail: email@example.com,
- contact with Data Protection Officer at e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org,
- the controller collects and processes personal data in the recruitment process for the following purposes:
- for the purpose of recruitment of the candidate with whom the employment contract will be concluded - pursuant to Article 6(1)(b) and (c) of the RODO and Article 221(1) and (2) of the Labour Code,
- to defend against claims related to the ongoing recruitment process-pursuant to Article 6(1)(f) of the RODO,
- in the case of processing personal data to a greater extent than that resulting from the regulations of law, the processing of such data by the controller shall be carried out on the basis of a separate consent-pursuant to Article 6(1)(a) of the RODO,
- personal data will be processed for the period necessary to achieve the purposes indicated in point4,
- personal data of persons participating in the recruitment process will be processed on behalf of the controller by authorized employees,
- personal data of person participating in the recruitment process may be made available to other entities authorised to obtain data on the basis of legal regulations,
- the person participating in the recruitment process, has the following rights: to gain access to the content of his/her personal data, to rectify and to complete personal data, to demand that the processing of personal data be restricted and, if it’s possible under the regulations of the RODO, the right to delete personal data, the right to transfer data and the right to object to processing of personal data.
- if any data is processed by the Institute on the basis of consent the person participating in the recruitment shall have the right to withdraw consent at any time without affecting the lawfulness of the processing carried out on the basis of consent prior to its withdrawal,
- a person participating in the recruitment shall have the right to lodge a complaint to the President of the Office for the Protection of Personal Data,
- the obligation to provide personal data resulting from regulations of law is a statutory requirement, in the remaining scope is voluntary,
- no automated decision will be taken with regard to your personal data.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEnvironmental science: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Profile of candidates:
• Ph.D. degree in Physical or Chemical Oceanography, Marine Science, Earth Sciences, or Geochemistry,
• documented scientific achievements including publications in recognized international scientific journals in the field of marine science/oceanography/biogeochemistry (candidates with documented publication record at journal with IF > 2 will be preferred),
• proven experience in participating in field work (candidates who participated in oceanographic cruises and expeditions will be preferred), practical knowledge of conducting physical and chemical oceanographic measurements with use of modern instrumentation, practical knowledge of methods for collecting water samples for determination of concentrations of optically significant sea water constituents and biogeochemical parameters, practical knowledge of methods for collection of sediments samples,
• experience and analytical background in absorption and fluorescence spectroscopy methods, laboratory analytical skills ,
• experience in data analysis and visualization, knowledge of Matlab or R computing environment,
• experience in analysis of spectral data and knowledge of multivariate statistical methods including knowledge of Parallel Factor Analysis and PCA models,
• passion for research, aptitude, and ability to learn new analytical techniques,
• independent thinking in data analysis,
• foreign experience: ability to work and live in diverse cultural environmentat, at least one short-term stay at a foreign university/research institute and presentations at international conferences,
• fluency in spoken and written English,
• ability for full involvement in the project, consisting in regular field and laboratory work, meetings with other members of the project and regular reporting on the progress of work to the PI, and presenting results on conferences and publications writing,
• experience in gaining independent funding for research is a plus.
EURAXESS offer ID: 484015
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.