- Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
- Engineering of Molecular NanoSystems
- Research Field
- Chemistry » Organic chemistryChemistry » Molecular chemistry
- Researcher Profile
- Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Offer Starting Date
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- H2020 / ERC
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
A 3-year postdoctoral fellowship and a 4-year PhD fellowship are available in the Engineeringof Molecular NanoSystems laboratory of the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB) to work on the synthesis and development of transmembrane transporters for ions.
These fellowships are offered in the context of a project funded by the European Research Council (ERC) and a project funded by the national foundation for scientific research (FNRS), both aimed at the development of molecular transmembrane transporters for ions and their applications in biology. One candidate will focus on the transport of anions and the other on transition metal cations.
See for recent publications on this topic:
- Transmembrane transport of copper(I) by imidazole-functionalised calixarenes. Chem. Commun. 2020, 5, 8206-8209. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0CC03555F
- Transmembrane Transport of Bicarbonate Unravelled. Chem. Eur. J., 2021, 27, 7367-7375. https://doi.org/10.1002/chem.202100491
- Calixarenes with halogen bond donor groups as selective and efficient anion transporters. Chem. Commun. 2022, 58, 6255-6258. https://doi.org/10.1039/D2CC00847E
- Repositioning Chloride Transmembrane Transporters: Transport of Organic Ion Pairs. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 58, 6921-6925. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201900818
The successful applicants will join the team of Dr. Hennie Valkenier to work on different aspects of the development of synthetic transmembrane transporters:
- Design and synthesis of compounds, in collaboration with Prof. Ivan Jabin (Laboratory of Organic Chemistry).
- Studies of the interactions between the synthetic receptors (or ligands) and the ions using various physicochemical methods including NMR, microcalorimetry, and optical spectroscopy.
- Transmembrane transport studies in liposomes, using fluorescence and NMR spectroscopy.
- Activity studies in cells, in close collaboration with different specialised labs in Belgium, France, and the UK.
Considering the expertise and results obtained so far, testing the activity of compounds will start as soon as the first compounds have been prepared. The successful applicants will thus work closely together with other team members. English and French are the main languages spoken in the laboratory (currently ~10 nationalities), but all results will be disseminated in English (presentations, written reports, and articles). Participation in international conferences will be encouraged.
- Research Field
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- Excellent past achievements
- Strong background in Synthetic Organic Chemistry
- Able to synthesise novel compounds and develop robust synthetic routes and protocols
- Experienced in the structural characterisation of organic compounds, especially by NMR spectroscopy
- Familiar with the concepts of Supramolecular Chemistry and Coordination Chemistry and the study of host-guest or metal-ligand interactions
- Team worker
- Creativity and problem-solving skills
- Strongly developed logic and critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills in English
The net amount of the postdoctoral mobility fellowship will be ~€2850/month.
- EU Citizens and citizens from countries that have a bilateral social security agreement with Belgium: social security coverage including medical insurance, unemployment benefit, retirement pension, maternity leave and child benefit.
- Non-EU Citizens from countries that have no bilateral social security agreement with Belgium: social security coverage including medical insurance, maternity leave and child benefit.
- Insurance against accidents in the workplace.
- Tax exemption.
- Low-cost private hospitalization insurance.
- On-site services at the ULB: medical centre, university hospital, sports centre, subsidized restaurants, cultural centre, crèche, activities for children…
Applicants of any nationality are eligible.
Eligible applicants hold a PhD degree which has been awarded maximum 8 years ago by the starting date.
Eligible applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Belgium for more than 24 months during the 3 years preceding the starting date.
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (with as subject: Application PostDoc-TransmembraneTransporters, your name) and should include:
- a cover letter to Dr. Hennie Valkenier, motivating the application for this position and considering the listed requirements
- a CV, including a list of publications and communications
- contact details of two persons that can provide a reference
The selection procedure will start once applications from competitive candidates have been received and will remain open till filled.
The starting date of this postdoc position is flexible, between 1 February and 1 July 2023.
The fellowship will be awarded for 12 months, renewable for 2 more years upon a positive evaluation of the first year.
- Number of offers available
- Université libre de Bruxelles
- Postal Code
- Avenue Paul Héger
Where to apply
- 50 Avenue F.D. Roosevelt
- Postal Code