ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Melbourne
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Modelling toolsEngineering › Biomedical engineeringEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Mechanical engineeringEngineering › MicroengineeringEngineering › Simulation engineeringTechnology › Future technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/04/2020 00:00 - Asia/Hong Kong
LOCATIONAustralia › The University of Melbourne
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
Lead Researcher: Dr. David Collins
University and Affiliation: University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Engineering
Preferred Background: Science and Engineering Disciplines (including Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Engineering)
Project: Tissue organoids, collections of 100-10,000 cells replicating the function of macro-scale organs, are an emerging technology that is enabling rapid drug discovery and the development of implantable tissues. The techniques used to form these organoids, however, are highly limited in terms of the tissue structures that can be created; the ability to spatially define these organ-analogues with an order of magnitude higher precision in terms of their heterogeneous composition and shape will make tissue organoids an even more powerful tool for biomedical science. In this project, the successful applicant will seek to combine approaches in computational optimisation, potentially including artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms and the like to design systems that can generate defined organoid topologies. A PhD in this area is an attractive area to work due to the significance of applications and the wide range of skillsets that will be developed.
Because this interdisciplinary project lies at the intersection of a number of different research fields, self-motivated students with an interest or experience in microfabrication, computational optimization, analytical modelling and microscale physics, with the potential to develop skillsets in cell culture, are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates may contact Dr. Collins for additional information.
The living allowance is >$30,000 per year for up to 3.5 years for students undertaking a doctoral degree.
Application: Please send your CV, academic transcript and brief overview of relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. If judged suitable, applicants will be selected for an online interview. Prospective students must meet University of Melbourne eligibility criteria to be awarded a PhD scholarship.
Visit this link for more details on scholarship eligibility and application information:
- The applicant will join an interdisciplinary team in the Collins BioMicrosystems Laboratory, located in the heart of the Biosciences and Engineering precinct at the University of Melbourne. Melbourne is also home to the Melbourne Centre for Nanofabrication, the largest cleanroom nano/microfabrication facility in the southern hemisphere.
- The University of Melbourne is the highest-ranked institution in Australia (Times Higher Education) and is located in Melbourne, a diverse and cosmopolitan city that is widely regarded as one of the most liveable cities in the world (Economist Intelligence Unit).
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Bachelor Degree or equivalentMathematics: Bachelor Degree or equivalentComputer science: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Applicants are expected to have at least an undergraduate (4-year) degree in engineering, science or a related field.
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate proficiency in at least one computing environment (i.e. MATLAB, Mathematica) or programming language (i.e. Python, C++, etc.).
- Scholarships are competitive, where only applicants who have scored highly from their degree (and/or have prior research experience) will be considered.
- Results from TOEFL/IELTS, etc. are required to prove English language skills for applicants whose first language is not English. This requirement is generally waived for this whose primary language of instruction at University has been in English.
EURAXESS offer ID: 481172
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.