ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Stuttgart
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Control engineeringEngineering › Mechanical engineeringEngineering › Systems engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE02/02/2020 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONGermany › Stuttgart
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK39.5
About the Institute
Stuttgart Wind Energy (SWE) is part of the Institute of Aircraft Design and a dedicated wind energy institute since 2004. Our research focus includes wind measurement technology, energy forecasting, sound emission estimation, design and modelling of floating systems, electromechanical interactions, control and simulation of on-/offshore turbines and farms. SWE’s Control and Simulation (CoSi) group carries out research on various aspects of the wind turbine system. We design, simulate and optimize models and controllers to reduce LCOE and increase the penetration of wind energy in the energy mix. We use commercial as well as in-house developed simulation codes. In future, we will use the WindForS test site - equipped with two research turbines - to carry out field tests of the developed control strategies.
You will develop control algorithms and perform dynamic simulations on a turbine and plant level from conception to application.
You will contribute to tasks within research projects of the CoSi group, as follows:
- Development of baseline and advanced control strategies (e.g. IPC, lidar assisted control etc.) for single turbines and wind farms
- Simulation of the aeroelastic response using state-of-the-art software (FAST, Bladed, Simpack)
- Development and maintenance of in-house software tools (mainly in MATLAB, Python and Fortran)
- Contribution to conception and management of national and international research projects. This includes reporting and writing research publications
- Implementation on controller hardware (PLC) for field testing purposes
After the initial period of getting familiar with our projects, workflows and tools, we offer and encourage you to pursue a PhD within the related research areas.
In addition to the research, you are expected to support ongoing teaching activities as well as contributing to administrative tasks.
Please send your electronic application in English or German including a motivation letter, curriculum vitae, transcript of grades, job references, and an electronic copy of your MSc thesis and relevant publications to the provided contact.
What we offer
- An internationally recognized, young and motivated team of researchers
- A versatile and interdisciplinary job and the possibility to pursue a PhD
- An environment to build your own research topic with strong support from the SWE team
- Flexible working environment
- Opportunities to support your own professional and academic growth
- Contacts to international research institutions and industry in the field of wind energy
- Opportunities to participate in international conferences, workshops and collaboration tasks (e.g. IEA Wind Tasks 32 and 37)
- A salary according to TV-L E13 with a full-time contract
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply. Applicants with disability and with equal qualifications will be given preference.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: GoodGERMAN: Good
You should have a Master´s degree in engineering or a similar degree in the fields of control engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, mechatronics, wind energy or similar. It is important that you are application-oriented and at the same time have a strong theoretical background in loads and control of wind turbines.
You are required to have:
- Good understanding of wind turbine dynamics
- Experience with aeroelastic simulations (FAST, Bladed or similar)
- Proficiency in MATLAB/Simulink
- Ability to work both independently as well as cooperate in a team
- Personal motivation to answer scientific questions
- Basic knowledge of control engineering and wind turbine/farm control
- Fluency in communication and reporting in English and basic knowledge of German
It would beneficial for your application and your work here to have:
- Experience in design and tuning baseline and advanced wind turbine/farm controllers
- Experience with code revision tools (git, hg or similar) and collaborative software development
- Programming skills in Python, C++ or Fortran
EURAXESS offer ID: 480656
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.