ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Bioorganic Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE07/02/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Poznan
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE03/02/2020
KEY WORDS: RNA, posttranscriptional regulation of gene expression, uridylation, retrotransposons, LINE-1, ALU, mobile genetic elements, enzymes influencing RNA
Research topic: Defining roles of LINE-1 mRNA 5’ and 3’ ends in the retrotransposon biology
Principal Investigator: Dr. Zbigniew Warkocki
I. Project description
The research activity of the Department of RNA Metabolism concerns studies on the molecular mechanisms of the posttranscriptional regulation of RNA metabolism in humans. In particular, we deal with investigating the RNA uridylation and studying mobile genetic elements in humans, the so called retrotransposons. One distinguishing feature of retrotransposons is their capability of retrotransposition, i.e. incorporating the retrotransposon into new sites in the genome, with the use of the “copy-paste”1,2 mechanism. Retrotransposons are active within the periods significant for human development, inter alia in gametogenesis, embryo development, in the processes of ageing and carcinogenesis. The conducted project aims at exploring the mechanisms of regulation of retrotransposition at the posttranscriptional stage.
1. Warkocki, Z. et al. Uridylation by TUT4/7 Restricts Retrotransposition of Human LINE-1s. Cell 174, 1537-1548.e29 (2018).
2. Warkocki, Z., Liudkovska, V., Gewartowska, O., Mroczek, S. & Dziembowski, A. Terminal nucleotidyl transferases (TENTs) in mammalian RNA metabolism. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 373, 20180162 (2018).
- Research and doctoral theses shall be carried out within the OPUS 17 project no. 2019/33/B/NZ1/02260, entitled “Defining roles of LINE-1 mRNA 5’ and 3’ ends in the retrotransposon biology”, funded by the National Science Centre.
- PhD students shall receive a stipend in the amount of 5000 PLN (net amount - ca. 3 7000 PLN), for the period of 36 months.
- PhD students shall be subject to social insurance, pursuant to article. 6 section 1 passage 7b of the act of October 13th, 1998 on the social insurance system (Journal of Laws of 2019, item 300, 303 and 730).
PhD students shall receive a stipend in the amount of 5000 PLN (net amount - ca. 3 7000 PLN), for the period of 36 months.
III. Required documents:
- Application for admission to PDS IPAS along with the consent for processing personal data upon the recruitment procedure and a statement on having acknowledged the regulations of recruitment for PDS IPAS, using form downloaded from
- Certified copy of the diploma confirming graduation or a certificate confirming graduation (in the case of diplomas issued by foreign higher education schools, diploma stipulated in article 326, section 2, passage 2 or article 327, passage 2 of the act of July 20th, 2018 – Law on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1668, as amended), entitling to apply for conferment of a doctoral degree in the state in where such a certificate was issued by the relevant higher education school. In the event when the candidate is not in possession of the aforementioned documents, he/she is obliged to submit them prior to admission to PDS IPAS. Additional information on foreign school diplomas are available at: https://nawa.gov.pl/en/recognition/recognition-for-academic-purposes/applying-for-admission-to-doctoral-studies.
- Scientific CV encompassing track record of previous education and employment, information on involvement in scientific activities (participation in student research groups, attendance at scientific conferences, accomplished internships and training, awarded prizes and distinction) and list of publications.
- Cover letter featuring a short description of research interests, scientific accomplishments, a list of publications, information on involvement in scientific activity (membership of student scientific groups, participation in scientific conferences, completed internships and training courses, prizes and distinctions received) and reasons for wishing to study at the doctoral school.
- Certificates or other documents confirming the degree of proficiency in English, if the candidate is in possession of such materials.
- Contact details of at least one, previous scientific supervisor or another researcher who is entitled to issue an opinion on the candidate.
IV. Applications should be submitted via the eRecruiter portal at:
V. Submission deadline is February 7th, 2020 (The date of document receipt shall be decisive)
VI. Criteria for evaluation of candidates:
- Candidate’s research achievements, pursuant to the grades obtained in the course of studies, scientific publications, awarded scholarships and distinctions resulting from conducting scientific research or student activities or other achievements.
- Candidate’s scientific and professional experience, pursuant to participation in conferences, workshops, training sessions and internships, implementation of research and commercial projects, involvement in scientific trusts and societies, international and professional mobility, experience in other sectors, including industry.
- Candidate’s knowledge on the following discipline: biological sciences.
- Knowledge of the subject matter described in the recruitment advertisement.
VII. The recruitment procedure shall be concluded until February 21st, 2019.
VIII. The description of the recruitment process is stipulated in the Regulations of Recruitment for PDS IPAS. Following the recruitment procedure, the unadmitted candidates shall be informed on the strong and weak sides of their applications.
For additional information please contact the Principal Investigator:
Dr. Zbigniew Warkocki
According to the content of art. 13 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation ), hereinafter referred to as GDPR, we inform that:
1. The administrator of the collected personal data is the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Noskowskiego 12/14, 61-704 Poznan, Poland, VAT No. PL 777-00-02-062 (hereinafter referred to as the Institute).
2. The administrator has appointed a Data Protection Inspector who can be contacted in writing, by traditional mail, writing to the Institute's address: Data Protection Inspector, Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Noskowskiego 12/14, 61-704 Poznan, Poland or by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Personal data are processed in order to implement the administrator's tasks related to the recruitment to the Poznań Doctoral School of the Institutes of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
4. The legal basis for data processing is the Act of 26 June 1974 - Labor Code, the Act of 30 April 2010 on the Polish Academy of Sciences, the Act of 20 July 2018 Law on Higher Education and Science and consent of the data subject.
5. Personal data collected in the current recruitment process will be stored for 3 months from the moment the recruitment process is resolved. After this period, personal data will be effectively destroyed.
6. Personal data will not be conveyed to a third country.
7. Personal data of the candidate selected in the competition may be made available to third parties authorized under the law.
8. The person whose data is processed has the right to:
- access to the content of your personal data, demand their correction or deletion, on the terms set out in art. 15-17 GDPR;
- set restrictions on data processing, in cases specified in art. 18 GDPR;
- data transfer, on the principles set out in art. 20 GDPR;
- withdrawal of consent at any time without affecting the lawfulness of the processing that was carried out on the basis of consent before its withdrawal;
- lodging a complaint to the President of the Office for Personal Data Protection.
Providing personal data in the scope resulting from art. 22 (1) of the Act of 26 June 1974 - Labor Code, is mandatory, providing data in a broader scope is voluntary and requires consent to their processing. Refusal to provide personal data prevents the application from being considered.
II. Requirements for the candidates:
- MSc degree in molecular biology, biotechnology or related sciences, or fulfilling the conditions stipulated in article 186, section 2 of the act of July 20th, 2018 Law on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1668, as amended);
- Very good command of English;
- Very good practical command of at least one of the following techniques: mammalian cell, organoid or tissue culture, analytical flow cytometry, confocal microscopy, RT-qPCR, RNA-seq, RACE-seq, ChIP-seq, immunoprecipitation, production of recombined proteins in bacteria or eukaryotic cells and purification of these proteins, biochemical experiments;
- Ability to conduct bioinformatics analyses of NGS transcriptomic or genomic data, statistical processing and visualization of data shall be considered as significant assets;
- An international internship and/or scientific publications of the candidate shall be considered as significant assets;
- At least basic knowledge of the issues concerning posttranscriptional regulation of gene expression and retrotransposons.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 477388
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.