RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Biomedical engineeringEngineering › Computer engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE24/02/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Valencia
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/05/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER860627
CLARIFY is a multidisciplinary research and training programme that links two specialities: engineering and medicine, with a focus on digital pathology.
If you are passionate about Machine Learning, algorithm optimization and cloud computing and you love the sun too, this is your position. :)
The PhD candidate will basically work on the development of cloud-based, image-retrieval methods for histological image-driven automatic diagnosis.
In simple words: The student will contribute on two of the main pillars of the consortium. On the one hand, they will work on the development of efficient algorithms for content-based image retrieval on large-scale datasets. On the other hand, they will contribute in the development of the clould-based platform that will connect health experts together with researchers in a unified framework.
In technical words: the student will 1) compare different similarity metrics for feature aggregation, database indexing, and image scoring; 2) develop a framework to analyze histological images by leveraging high-dimensional features and hashing-based methods; 3) use different hashing methods to compress high-dimensional features into optimised codes; and 4) implement an efficient updating and optimisation scheme to improve the supervised and kernelized hashing method to efficiently handle new training samples. The student will be an engineer with background and strong interest in computer science.
Planned secondment(s): INCLIVA (M17): Practical insight into digital pathology and its requirements; UiS (M19-M21): Artificial intelligence for medical applications; UPV (M25-M26): Software requirements for feature extraction; LYN (M28-M29): Medical knowledge management and representation
- Full-time 3-year contract with a highly competitive and attractive salary according to regulations of Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions for Early Stage Researchers.
- Mobility allowance. Contribution to household, relocation and travel expenses to/from home country.
- Family allowance (if applicable). Cost of moving with the family to the recruitment country. Family’ means persons linked to the researcher by marriage (or a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognised by the legislation of the country where this relationship was formalised) or dependent children who are actually being maintained by the researcher.``
Applicants, at the date of recruitment, must comply with the following conditions:
- be in the first four years* of his/her research career and not have a doctoral degree.
- not have resided in the country of the recruiting beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date (and not have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in that country).
* is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited. Master students who finish the master in 2019-2020 could apply for CLARIFY positions if they include a letter of commitment to ensure the master’s conclusion in 2019-2020 and their enrolment in a PhD program in 2020-2021. The breach of this commitment will be grounds for contract termination.
Motivation letter and CVs must be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In case of being interested in more than one CLARIFY ESR’s position, note that candidates can apply to a maximum of three CLARIFY’s positions and should rank them based on their preferences. This information must be included in the application.
If you need further information or you want to see the space where you are going to spend your 3 years of Phd, or you want to meet your new workmates and friends, we can hold a skype meeting. Just email us to find a date.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentComputer science: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
We are looking for passionate engineers with strong academic background and interest in Image Processing, Algorithm Optimization, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Cloud Processing. In particular:
- Background in Computer Vision and Artificial Intelligence
- Programming skills in any of the following ML programming languages: Python (desired), C++, Matlab, R
- Other programming skills: Angular 2+, Typescript will also be considered
- Experience in the use of any of the following ML libraries (such as scikit-learn, keras, OpenCV)
- Fluent oral and written English
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with (or strong interest to learn) agile methodologies and scrum
EURAXESS offer ID: 474833
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.