ORGANISATION/COMPANYNicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center
RESEARCH FIELDGeosciences › OtherOtherPhysics › Computational physicsTechnology › Information technologyTechnology › Quantum technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE22/01/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK20
OFFER STARTING DATE02/02/2020
Applications are invited for four student positions in the field of computer science at AstroCeNT, a new international Center of Excellence in Particle Astrophysics in Warsaw, Poland.
Successful applicants will be expected to join the “Scientific Computing & Information Technology Group” led by Professor Piotr Gawron, and to engage in research on development of quantum and classical machine learning methods in variety of topics such as: quantum-classical energy based models, quantum-classical neural networks, and large scale quantum computation. The scope of applications covers data analysis obtained from Earth observations imagery, direct dark matter detection experiments and gravitational waves measurements.
The particular proposed topics are:
- Implementing Connectionist Temporal Classification algorithm to Flux.jl with Zygote.jl
- A library for quantum classification with quantum perceptron in Pennylane
- A library in Julia for quantum classification with quantum perceptron wrapping Yao.jl
- Simulation of quantum computers on distributed GPUs with CUDA
The position will be based at AstroCeNT in Warsaw, Poland. We are seeking applicants who are currently enrolled as students of computer science (quantum computation, machine learning, signal processing), applied mathematics, physics (quantum information and computation, condensed matter theory, statistical physics) or similar, and have a proven record of 2 years of studies in the above mentioned fields. In particular, we look for applicants with experience in data analysis, numerical programming and scientific computation. The position will start on 2 February 2020. The initial term is for 5 months with an option of renewal if mutually agreed.
Complete applications received before January 22, 2020, will receive full consideration; however, applications received after that date will be also considered until the positions are filled.
AstroCeNT — Particle Astrophysics Science and Technology Centre — was established on 1 July 2018 following an award of nearly 38 million PLN (nearly 9M Euro, over 10M USD) within the framework of the International Research Agendas Programme of Foundation of Polish Science.
At AstroCeNT, research is focused primarily on the areas of the detection of gravitational waves and dark matter using advanced technological instruments, whose development will be among the prime areas of activity of the Center. However, it is planned to engage in other areas of theoretical and experimental research in particle astrophysics, beyond gravitational waves and dark matter.
AstroCeNT has developed close collaborative links with several institutions in Europe and outside, in particular with our strategic partners APC (Astroparticle and Cosmology Laboratory) in Paris and the McDonald Institute in Canada. More collaborations are being established.
Currently AstroCeNT comprises six international research groups of physicists and engineers:
- SiPM Systems for Astroparticle Physics and Medical Physics (leader: Dr Marcin Kuźniak);
- Seismic Sensors (leader: Professor Tomasz Bulik);
- Electronics and Data Acquisition and Processing (leader: TBA);
- Ultrapure SiPMs and Associated Readout Electronics (leader: Dr Masayuki Wada);
- Scientific Computing & Information Technology (leader: Professor Piotr Gawron);
- Particle Astrophysics (leader: Professor Leszek Roszkowski).
Expansion to other activities in the field will be considered in the future. In about two years the Center is expected to reach the size of about 30 researchers, including group leaders, their teams, PhD students and visitors working in an international, English-speaking environment. The Center is led by Professor Leszek Roszkowski.
AstroCeNT is formally a new administrative division of Nicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center of the Polish Academy of Sciences (http://www.camk.edu.pl) – an internationally leading institute in astronomy and astrophysics.
AstroCeNT is conveniently located in the city center, with easy access from rail stations and airports. The center occupies a suite of spacious and modern labs and offices on the top floor of the CZIiTT building of the Warsaw University of Technology in order to foster communication and cooperation with local engineers and physicists, and to enhance scientific and academic environment. The site is also well connected with Physics Department of Warsaw University and the main site of the Nicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Center and other research institutes in Warsaw.
1. Stimulating, international, English speaking research environment in a new center of excellence;
2. Possibility to develop frontline research in quantum computation and machine learning applications;
3. Funding for research, travel and basic equipment;
4. Scientific, organizational and technical support, including standard research facilities.
1. curriculum vitae,
2. cover letter,
3. scan of signed GDPD form (available from https://www.camk.edu.pl/en/about/ochrona-danych-osobowych/#rodocent).
All the material should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
1. To be open to co-operation with the other research teams at AstroCeNT.
2. To perform research in quantum computation, machine learning, signal processing.
To be prepared to apply for grants.
Ability to work and collaborate in research teams in a competitive environment.
EURAXESS offer ID: 474691
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.