RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/02/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Rotterdam
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK36
OFFER STARTING DATE01/05/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER860627
The Department of Urology at Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands offers an exciting position for a PhD student within the EU-funded Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network CLARIFY – CLoud ARtificial Intelligence For pathologY (Grant Agreement number 860627). CLARIFY is an innovative, multinational, multi-sectorial, and multidisciplinary research and training program that links two highly differentiated specialties: engineering and medicine, with a focus on digital pathology. Our department is one of the nine host institutions. For more information visit the CLARIFY website.
Your research project
As Early Stage Researcher 10 (ESR10), you will carry out the project entitled Improving high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer diagnosis and prognosis by digital pathology. The research objectives are to improve diagnosis and prediction of response to treatment (BCG) in high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (HR-NMIBC) patients by studying the histopathological patterns of HR-NMIBC by image analysis together with clinicopathological biomarkers. You will 1) generate an annotated database of HR‐NMBC patients including BCG-responders and BCG non-responders in order to improve, by artificial intelligence, precision and reproducibility of this classification; 2) define the requirements of an image analysis system which permits an effective classification of BCG‐responders and BCG non-responders; and 3) analyze the clinical significance of the new morphological patterns automatically identified by deep learning algorithms which are differentially present among both patient subgroups. Your fellow ESRs 1-9 mainly focus on development and implementation of deep learning networks based on extraction of tumor histological features. These algorithms are then used for image analysis in specific bladder tumors by you (ESR10) and in breast (ESR11) and skin (ESR12) tumors to improve diagnosis and prognosis.
You will have your main workplace at Erasmus MC, but mandatory secondments at different partner institutions are also required. Secondments are planned at the Stavanger University Hospital (Norway) secondments in month 17-21 for WSI digitalization work flow and digital pathology diagnosis research training, at Tyris Software (Spain) in month 30‐31 for usability and validation of clinical applications research training, and at INCLIVA Biomedical Research Institute (Spain) in month 32‐33 for image‐based diagnosis of spitzoid melanocytic lesions research training.
Working at Erasmus MC
You will be part of our international Urology and Pathology team embedded within the Academic Center of Excellence of Urogenital Tumors at Erasmus MC. You will collaborate closely with scientists from Urology and Pathology both on the non-clinical and clinical side as we have a strong translational focus at our departments. You will become a member of the Erasmus MC Postgraduate school Molecular Medicine and will be given the opportunity to compile your own individual program. Obligatory courses are Biostatistics and Research Methods, Biomedical English Writing and Research Integrity.
At Erasmus MC, we foster diversity across social, educational, cultural, nationality, age and gender. We are committed to diversity at all levels and strive to recruit employees with the right skills and competences, regardless of gender, age and ethnicity.
- Full-time 3-year contract with a highly competitive and attractive salary according to regulations of Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions for Early Stage Researchers.
- Mobility allowance. Contribution to household, relocation and travel expenses to/from home country.
- Family allowance (if applicable). Costs of moving with the family to the recruitment country. Family means persons linked to the researcher by marriage (or a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognized by the legislation of the country where this relationship was formalized) or dependent children who are actually being maintained by the researcher.
Applicants, at the date of recruitment, must comply with the following conditions:
- be in the first four years* of his/her research career and not have a doctoral degree.
- not have resided in the country of the recruiting beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date (and not have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in that country).
* is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited. Master students who finish the master in 2019-2020 could apply for CLARIFY positions if they include a letter of commitment to ensure the master’s conclusion in 2019-2020 and their enrollment in a PhD program in 2020-2021. The breach of this commitment will be grounds for contract termination.
Please send your motivation letter, CV, contact details of 2 references, copies of relevant diploma(s) and academic transcripts and proof of English language proficiency if available to Dr. Tahlita Zuiverloon.
In case of being interested in more than one CLARIFY ESR’s position, note that you can apply to a maximum of three CLARIFY’s positions and should rank them based on your preferences. This information must be included in your application.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
We are looking for a medical doctor or biomedical scientist with a strong interest in (digital) pathology, urology, image processing, and artificial intelligence. Specifically, we are interested in people with:
- Strong motivation and potential for research within the field
- Fluent oral and written English
- Excellent communication skills
- Preferentially a background in pathology/urology
Applicants must have completed Medical school or must have a master’s degree in Biomedical Sciences or other relevant disciplines. ESR10 will enrol at Erasmus MC in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
EURAXESS offer ID: 472775
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.