RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/01/2020 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Dortmund
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/02/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER722176
Objectives: Laser active area based on quantum dots made possible the development of light sources such as multi-channel laser source for DWDM communications (already on the market) and single photons and entangled photon pairs. Controlled growth of “quantum dot in quantum wire” will allow the development of a near “top-hat” distribution of quantum dots properties with enhanced performance bandwidth within 30 - 70 meV of the desired emission bandwidth. This project is in the context of the Horizon 2020 INDEED Marie Curie Actions- Innovative Training Network: www.indeednetwork.com.
The research fellow, also as known early-stage researcher (ESR), will investigate low-dimensional semiconductor nanostructures and develop practical devices based on quantum dots and semiconductor nanowires. In particular, the duties include the development of theoretical physical models, computer-based device modelling, optical measurements, development of new designs, process flow and photolithography masks. The research fellow will also contribute to device fabrication cycles (e.g. epitaxial growth, wafer processing, optical coating and chip bonding, etc.) and carry out electronic and optical characterization and analysis of the devices produced. The ESR appointed will work in close collaboration with another ESR. As such, depending on their personal background and experience the ESR’s activities may focus on one or many of the following duties: theoretical simulations and modelling, device processing technology, or device characterization (measurements and analysis). The ESR will also have the opportunity to collaborate with INDEED partners across Europe (www.indeednetwork.com/people/consortium-partners).
This research fellowship programme will be carried out within the context of the INDEED network, a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions– Innovative Training Network (ITN) – project funded by the European Commission, under their H2020 program. Through the project activities, the Fellows will have the opportunity to come in contact and collaborate with some of the best European research groups. English is the official language of the INDEED project. Additional details are available in “Further particulars”. The details of the INDEED ITN programme are available on: www.indeednetwork.com.
- Gross living allowance (proportional equivalent of 36 872.16€ per year) is subject to employment laws and employer costs deduction.
- Mobility Allowance: In addition to the salary, the successful fellows will receive a mobility allowance of 7200 Euros per annum (proportional equivalent of). Fellows married at the time of recruitment are also eligible to receive a family allowance of 6000 Euros per annum (proportional equivalent of). All of the payments are subject to relevant host country employment laws and deductions of all compulsory contributions for both employer and employee.
The candidates must meet all the criteria listed below
- Be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of his/her research career and not have a doctoral degree at the time of recruitment by the host organisation. Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience is measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited, even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged. However, full time spent on non-research related activities may be discounted, where each case is evaluated on its own merit.
- At the time of recruitment by the host organisation, must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Short stays such as holidays and/or compulsory national service are not taken into account.
- Prior to starting their position, the successful fellows must have completed the courses that would have allowed them to enrol in a doctorate program either in the country where they are studying or in the country offering the position.
To apply, please send your application to:
Your application should include your full CV as well as attach a one page summary (this should include a description of your skills and experience in Optics, practical Lab projects, software expertise and digital signal processing and other information in support of your application with direct reference to the advertisement and further particulars) and any supporting documents.
For more information you may also contact Dr. Igor Krestnikov (Innolume GmbH, Konrad-Adenauer-Allee 11, 44263 Dortmund, Germany), till the closing day, 15 December 2019, at email@example.com.
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › Solid state physics
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
The successful candidates must satisfy the eligibility criteria (see below ) and have:
- An excellent academic record in physics, engineering, material sciences or related areas.
- A keen interest in pursuing research in nanotechnology, and in particular the science and technology of nanowires
- The ability to work independently and as a member of a research team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A good command of English language, with excellent oral and written skills.
* Note that female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Any or combination of the following will be a clear advantage.
- A demonstrable ability or potential to produce research published in peer-reviewed journals.
- A good strategic fit with existing research expertise in the host institution and the INDEED network
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, the language of the host institution (German).
EURAXESS offer ID: 472281
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.