ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Mainz
RESEARCH FIELDHistory › Medieval history
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Leading Researcher (R4)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/01/2020 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONGermany › Mainz
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/03/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
Job Advertisement, Kartvelologist
At the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz the position of a
post-doctoral researcher (wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter/in)
(salary scheme 13 TV-L, full-time [100%])
is to be filled by 01.03.2020 (or as soon as possible thereafter) for a period of three years.
The position is situated within the project “Mount Athos in Medieval Eastern Mediterranean Society: Contextualizing the History of a Monastic Republic (ca. 850-1550)” (MAMEMS), which is funded by a Starting Grant of the European Research Council (ERC). MAMEMS will constitute the first comprehensive examination of the monastic communities of Mount Athos as independent actors in medieval Eastern Mediterranean Society. This “monastic republic” was intimately connected with the Byzantine Empire, the various Orthodox principalities of the Balkans and Caucasus, South Italy, as well with the Ottoman Empire. By taking advantage of considerable advances in subfields like prosopography, analyzing and making available a set of sources (lists of commemoration) that are either poorly studied or unedited, and by bringing together an interdisciplinary team (a Byzantinist, Slavicist and Kartvelologist) under the direction of the Principal Investigator (Dr. Zachary Chitwood), MAMEMS will transform the way the Holy Mountain is viewed within scholarship and the general public via a triad of leitmotifs: wealth, ethnicity and gender (WEG). The exploration of these topics will be undergirded by the creation of a prosopographical database, Prosopographica Athonica, containing entries for every monk to have resided on the Holy Mountain, every Athonite benefactor and every person to have visited there from ca. 850 to 1550, that is from the time of the first surviving documents in the Athonite archives until the founding of the last of the major Athonite houses, Stavronikita. This database will finally allow a concrete analysis of how medieval Mount Athos was embedded within wider networks of economic interests, church leadership, intellectual exchange and patronage.
Your duties include:
- Participating in the creation of a prosopographical databank, which is to encompass all documented benefactors, monks and visitors associated with the Holy Mountain.
- The appraisal and analysis of relevant sources and literature in Georgian.
- The preparation and publication of a list of commemoration from an Athonite monastery (Iviron) written in Georgian.
- Regular participation in project events, including regular meetings every two weeks and three major international workshops.
- An outstanding dissertation in Kartvelology or a related field.
- Excellent knowledge of medieval and modern Georgian; knowledge of further project-relevant languages (Greek, Rumanian, Slavic languages) is advantageous.
- Experience in interdisciplinary work.
- Oral proficiency in English or German.
What MAMEMS can offer you:
- The chance for intense interdisciplinary discussion.
- The opportunity for additional training within the field of Digital Humanities.
- The prospect of submitting your edited list of commemoration as a second dissertation (Habilitationsschrift) to attain professorial qualifications in Germany.
The Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz is keen on increasing the proportion of women within the sphere of scholarship and therefore especially welcomes applications from female researchers.
The following application materials are to be submitted electronically in a single .pdf file (in German or English):
- A letter of application (max. 2 pages).
- A detailed c.v., including a list of publications.
- Two article-length publications which best demonstrate the applicant’s aptitude for scholarship.
Please send these materials with the subject heading: MAMEMS_Name by 31.12.2019 by e-mail to:
Please direct any queries you might have regarding this position or MAMEMS to Dr. Zachary Chitwood, who can be reached at the e-mail address above.
Timeline for the review of applications:
- The review of applications will begin immediately.
- Finalists will be invited to participate in an interview via Skye.
- A final decision will be made by the end of January, 2020.
For further information regarding the project: http://www.unimainz.de/presse/aktuell/9518_ENG_HTML.php
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELHistory: PhD or equivalent
EURAXESS offer ID: 472039
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.