RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE06/01/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Leiden
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
The Assistant Professor will be working within the research program Museums, Collections and Society, a collaboration between the Faculties of Humanities and Archaeology, under the supervision of prof. dr. Pieter ter Keurs. Museums, Collections and Society aims to stimulate collections-based research and will operate in close cooperation with museums in Leiden and The Hague. It partakes in (inter)national discussions on museum and collection-based issues, such as inclusion/exclusion, the consequences of classifying collections, representation in museum displays and restitution.
The Assistant Professor will have the following key responsibilities: Organizing and participating in courses in the field of heritage and museums, developing at least one research project in the field, writing applications for external funding, participating in administrative tasks within the research group and the faculty. Your work will consist of:
- Prepare and teach courses in the MA in Archaeology, BA in Heritage and Society and BA in World Archaeology programs of the Faculty of Archaeology;
- Engage in all usual forms of instruction in heritage and museum studies programs, including supervising internships and excursions, supervising BA and MA theses, both in Dutch and in English;
- Play an active role in recruiting Dutch and international students by contributing to open days, orientation and information sessions;
- Participate in the development and implementation of education innovations – also in digital form;
- Conduct research based on an individual research plan within the research program of Museums, Collections and Society (see below) and present the results in the form of publications, conference presentations and other means;
- Acquire project funding at the national, European and international level (NWO, Horizon 2020 etc.)
- Co-supervise PhD candidates;
- Contribute to administrative and management duties within Museums, Collections and Society and the Department of Archaeological Heritage and Society of the Faculty of Archaeology.
We offer a full time position for a period of six years. The possibility of renewal will be discussed after an evaluation in the fifth year on the basis of result agreements made at the start of the appointment. Salary range from €3.637,- to €4.978,- gross per month (pay scale 11 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). Salary scale depends on education, experience and level of appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year (8.3 %) bonuses, training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our Individual Choices Model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. The position starts as soon as possible.
University Teaching Qualification. Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the UTQ. If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to the departmental secretary, Yvonne Haring, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that you attach the following documents as a single PDF file quoting the vacancy number:
- A CV including education and employment history, publication list ideally with a link to your profile page in Google Scholar, and courses taught;
- A letter of motivation;
- Copies of teaching evaluations and BKO diploma, if applicable;
- Copies of your academic transcripts and relevant (degree) certificates;
- One writing sample (published article or book chapter), ideally as links to freely accessible online publications;
- The names and contact details of two referees (no letters of recommendation needed at this point), of which at least one is not the thesis supervisor or current employer
- A one page research proposal, fitting within one of the following themes of the research group Museums, Collections and Society:
- History of Collections;
- The Agency of Museum Collections;
- Interconnections within Leiden academic and museum collections;
- Classification and representation in museums and collections;
- The Ethics of Collecting.
Only applications received no later than 6 January 2020 can be considered.
The selection procedure will take place in January, and selected candidates will be invited for a (Skype) interview in February. You are kindly requested to be available in this period.
Acquisition following this advertisement is not appreciated.
Leiden University is strongly committed to equity, inclusion and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Pieter ter Keurs, email email@example.com, telephone 0031715272688, or to Mariana Françozo, email firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 0031715272437.
Web site for additional job details
- A PhD degree in Archaeology or Anthropology with a topic in the field of museum or collection research;
- Two to four years of postdoctoral research experience in the field;
- Awareness of current issues, viewpoints as well as innovative methods within the field;
- Research interests that fit within the Faculty of Archaeology’s research profile.
- Possessing a network of contacts in museum studies and/or collection research; preferably through first-hand experience in a museum context;
- Demonstrable and outstanding teaching skills (demonstrated by e.g. teaching evaluations, , etc.); experience in teaching at both bachelor’s and master’s level; experience with educational innovations;
- Proven track record of independent research, as demonstrated by a list of publications;
- (Near) native proficiency in the languages of instruction, English (master’s level) and Dutch (bachelor’s level). NB: if the candidate fulfils all other requirements, proficiency in Dutch may be acquired within one year after appointment;
- Flexible, excellent communication skills, team worker.
EURAXESS offer ID: 471723
Posting organisation offer ID: 288176
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.