ORGANISATION/COMPANYH-CEMM Hungarian Centre of Excellence for Molecular Medicine
RESEARCH FIELDMedical sciences › Medicine
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE05/01/2020 22:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONHungary › Szeged
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
Applications are invited for the post of
HCEMM Director General/Chief Executive Officer
The Director General/CEO of HCEMM will:
- be responsible for overall leadership, strategic direction and resource planning;
- provide intellectual leadership for the multidisciplinary and international community of HCEMM staff and fellows;
- lead his/her own research group and select, lead and mentor younger faculty members;
- ensure the attainment of world-class standards of research;
- lead the preparation for regular scientific reviews, as well as EC project reviews;
- ensure financial sustainability of the institute by fundraising from relevant national and international funding agencies and by exploring alternative research funding sources, such as private foundations or industrial partners;
- have overall responsibility for the HCEMM’s day-to-day operations and the performance of all parts of the organisation;
- ensure the international visibility of HCEMM.
The tasks are not limited to the above and a flexible approach and ability to adapt to evolving situations is required.
The chosen candidate will have:
- a PhD in the biomedical sciences and a proven record of scientific leadership;
- at least 10 years' experience in international scientific collaboration;
- an excellent overview of the European molecular medicine research and policy landscape, as well as short- and long-term scientific visions in molecular medicine;
- substantial management and leadership experience within a scientific organisation, preferably international;
- preferably experience in world-leading institutional environments, interfacing with different scientific and social cultures;
- a demonstrated record of successful fundraising, programme development, faculty recruitment and mentoring, and organisational management;
- a leadership style that is both inclusive (participatory) and directive;
- excellent communication and mediation skills;
- ability to negotiate productively at different levels, both inside and outside HCEMM;
- a good understanding of the EU Research funding mechanisms and of the Hungarian research environment is an advantage;
- excellent organisational skills and fluent written and spoken English.
The Hungarian Centre of Excellence for Molecular Medicine – HCEMM - is a game changer research centre which catalyzes reforming changes in the research culture and makes impact in the regional development of Hungarian knowledge regions. The centre is headquartered in Szeged (Hungary) with partner organizations in Budapest and Szeged.
HCEMM has the mission to become an internationally recognized institute of excellence having a leading role in renewing the Hungarian research and innovation landscape, providing scientists with cutting edge technologies and autonomy to conduct innovative research, actively contributing the training of researchers, promoting cooperation with industry by translational projects and engaging in the wide-ranging social debate on the scientific and technological aspects of molecular medicine.
The centre is developed in cooperation with the University of Szeged, the Biological Research Centre, the Semmelweis University and the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. HCEMM is a Non-profit Ltd and a member of the EMBL partnership network. The establishment and the operation of the centre are supported by the Hungarian government and by the Teaming excellence programme within the Horizon 2020 programme, the research and innovation programme of the European Union.
HCEMM seeks an experienced, inspirational and dynamic leader to serve as its DG/CEO. The position is initially contracted for 5 years with a possibility of an extension. The DG/CEO is responsible for building up the institutional framework of the organization, the development and execution of the short and long-term research strategy of the centre, including recruitment of new research groups in accordance with the research strategy, and for aligning the strategy with the corresponding funding frameworks. The DG/CEO reports to HCEMM supervisory bodies. The DG/CEO is consulted by the Scientific Advisory Panel, the external advisory body of senior research leaders from across Europe.
Applications should be submitted as a single pdf-file containing a letter of motivation, a CV, evidence on the required leadership skills and a list of key research publications to firstname.lastname@example.org before January 15, 2020.
The creation of HCEMM is based on a successful Horizon 2020 project. Description of the mission, ambitions, and operational framework of the Hungarian Centre of Excellence for Molecular Medicine is available at https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/208429/factsheet/en and https://www.hcemm.eu/.
Short-listed candidates will be invited to a personal interview consisting of one scientific presentation, one strategic presentation and interactive interview sessions during March 2020.
Expected start of work is July 2020.
HCEMM is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits. The remuneration comprises a competitive salary and a relocation package.
In case of any questions, please contact Dr. Silke Schumacher, Director International Relations at EMBL (email@example.com).
EURAXESS offer ID: 470023
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.