RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE03/12/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Gent
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
Last application date Dec 03, 2019 23:20
Department WE11 - Department of Biology
Employment category Postdoctoral staff member group 2
Contract Unlimited duration with clause
Degree PhD in marine sciences, biology or equivalent
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy Type Research staff
The Marine Biology Research Group of Ghent University is recruiting a motivated marine scientist to analyse the biodiversity of meiobenthic invertebrates from the abyssal Pacific Ocean using High Throughput Sequencing (HTS). The successful candidate will possibly collect samples by joining a sampling campaign at sea, analyse the samples and interpret the data based on sound statistical analyses, and publish the results in peer-reviewed journals. The candidate will join a team involved in biodiversity and impact analyses of an abyssal polymetallic nodule area. This team is part of the Marine Biology Research Group, a highly dynamic and international scientific environment. The contract will last 2 years.
Profile of the candidate
Specific experience and competences:
- A PhD in marine sciences, biology or equivalent.
- Seagoing experience, preferably on multidisciplinary sampling campaigns, is a plus.
- Excellent standard of spoken and written English
- Proven lab experience for HTS (PCR, AMPure, etc.)
- Ability to perform bioinformatical (suited for HTS) and statistical data analysis (preferably in R) and to write sound scientific reports and papers Inter-personal competencies:
- Enthusiastic and highly motivated
- Flexible and independent
- Capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and to meet deadlines
- Transparency in working and a team‐orientated work ethic
How to apply
Applications, including a motivation letter and curriculum vitae, should be addressed to Prof. Ann Vanreusel, Marine Biology Research Group, Krijgslaan 281/S8, 9000 Ghent before 03/12/2019. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview and the employment contract will start as from the 1st of January 2020. For further information on the job opening, please contact Prof. Ann Vanreusel (email: Ann.Vanreusel@Ugent.be)
EURAXESS offer ID: 465079
Posting organisation offer ID: 136938
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.